10.1.5 Sooner or Later?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, May 22, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

RailheadDesign provides us an update regarding Mac OS X 10.1.5...

The next minor update to OS X 10.1 is almost ready to go final candidate — but there’s one hiccup: Microsoft wants a different release schedule than Apple’s.

Per the update, it's mentioned that MS's IE update will take another 7 weeks with current plans. Details at at RailheadDesign.

2. big
    macrumors 65816

big

ummm, forget 'em Apple! Why did we buy from you anyways?

3. macrumors 603

Here we go again. Microsoft is giving orders to Apple...Hold off the release of a free update to your operating system, which most likely will provide less bugs, so that we, the guys at Microsoft, can release a slow-scrolling internet application, which renders pages much slower than Mozilla or Netscape.

What a bunch of BS. I think Apple should go with their operating system. And with the rumors of 10.1.6, I think Microsoft can wait until then. In seven weeks' time, Apple might already be finished with 10.1.6. Just my thoughts.

4. macrumors newbie

rumors of 10.1.6? really i havent heard about this..

5. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Screw 'em. If the update to IE is major, it can wait for Jaguar!

6. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

It only took MS a year to get OSX drivers for it's mice while they were saying "any day now", so waiting for them now is a little risky, and BTW their drivers don't even work that well!

7. macrumors 6502a

kishba

silly microshaft and their quest for power...

steve should release 10.1.5 tomorrow just to spite them!!!

ok, now that i'm past my initial craze... microsoft should let apple help them speed up the development process so they BOTH can release their updates rather quickly

can't we all just get along and share the love??

8. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

M$

They make me so angry! Thier drivers are very bad too, I lost some functionalilty of my mouse, sheesh way to work backwards. Jaguar should not wait for anything!

9. macrumors 603

Regarding my post on 10.1.6, I am pretty sure that there was a discussion about 10.1.5, with a pinch of 10.1.6 added in to the mix. I just can't remember where I found it.

SPG, if you think MS does crappy mouse drivers (which I agree), Kensignton Mouseworks for OS 9 and even OS X is right <down> there with MS.

It is, however, sad that Apple sort of needs to rely on MS for Microsoft Office v.X. I wonder what would happen if Apple matches MS and does better. Then Apple might not need MS anymore for certain software.

In the meantime, Appleworks is a really neat software product. I have done so much with AW it has saved me in the process of making 2D drawings and figures look 3D.

10. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Man it is things like this that make me want to get rid of them is one massive sweep of my hard drive. Screw them! We bought Apple for a reason, so that we don't have to be under the thumb of Bill Gates, and his band of merry men. You know what, come to think of it. I don't need them. I think I will do a little trashing on my system right now. Can't Appleworks read word documents?

11. macrumors 603

According to the Help menu for Appleworks, you need a MacLinkPlus translator.

But, really, Apple should make Appleworks the standard for basic text, drawing, database executions, spreadsheets and presentations. Now if Apple can add even more simple features and more options for export/import we would be set.

12. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I agree completely with the second paragraph. As for the first one, v. 6.2.3/4 (9/X) has the translator built in.

13. macrumors 65816

So if we get 10.1.5 in the next few weeks and/or without a new IE, that means Stevie grew some balls and told M$ to piss off.

Can't wait to see what happens:)

14. macrumors 6502a

kishba

i'm pretty sure stevie already has the balls to do it... but he doesn't want to piss off microsoft so much that they pull office... lots of people use it... the agreement between the companies already expired and steve's actions could very well break up the "strong relationship" between the two companies

15. macrumors newbie

Well, I think they should make 10.1.5 available via Software Update as soon as they can. An IE update can come later.

As far as refreshing what is shipped out on new systems, maybe they should wait so they don't have to refresh and refresh again.

(and no, i don't use IE anymore)

- n8

16. macrumors newbie

here is the 'Important Information' document that comes up just before you install the 10.1.5 update i was shown:

i don't install pre-release stuff myself, especially OSX updates! but i have been told that it works fine... ill be interested to see if the version apple releases is any different

17. macrumors 6502

McFreggle

Which reminds me... Microsoft promised to release an update for Entourage v.X to make it able to synchronize with a Palm, a few weeks after Palm would have released its Desktop Software for OS X...

It's quite a while now the Palm Desktop Software is available, but no sign of Entourage Update... :(

I have a meeting with a Microsoft manager next week... I will poll him...

k.

18. macrumors 6502a

robotrenegade

Remember when apple didn't have alot of things going on. Well, Bill Gates gave apple 50 million, before Steve came back. I hate microsoft as much as the next guy. He also ownes 10% of apple.

19. macrumors 6502a

kishba

i'm pretty sure that the investment was sold... i remember a thread where someone mentioned the sale

if only i could remember how long ago it was, i'd find it, but alas...

20. macrumors 603

I think this was it...

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4047

And Gates did not give Apple $50 million, but rather $150 million, according to the first post.

BTW: There are a few flames that can still be detected in this forum. Enjoy! :)

21. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I cannot add anything useful here....so...

I'll just say screw 'em as well!!! :mad:

22. macrumors 603

Hey, an anti-smiley! :)

I have a feeling that this could burst into another flame war, or possibly heated opinions at the least, just as long people keep seeing MS, M$, Microsoft, or Bill Gates. I think I will stay out of it for a while.

23. macrumors newbie

Microsoft are a big bunch of pansies - im sorry, they just are.

i take immense joy in thinking about them fall from grace, but Office for Mac is a stupidly important app. the singularly most impressive thing you can tell a PC user is that their sorry M$-owned lives can be reopened on a mac.

24. macrumors 65816

They bought IIRC $150 million of stock options which have since been sold back a while ago. The reason for the $150million was to settle a lawsuit with Apple over M$ stealing the Apple GUI. M$ and Apple signed the contract in which M$ would make Office for the Mac and Apple would drop the lawsuit.

I'm sure there were other stipulations, like Apple couldn't directly compete with Windows OS, had to make IE the defualt browser, etc. Notice this year Apple is getting more ballsy with their ads? I think that's because the contract is about up - August I think?

25. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah....u like that one....eh?? ;)

as far as flamewars for this thread go...I don't think we're going to see one...

basically....everyone is pissed off that the release is being set back a bit because of something on Microsoft's part...I don't think it's really a personal vendetta against Apple...but it does suck... :( (well there I go with another anti-smiley)