Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cthuluh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Rlyeh
Hi,
I have a nmp with d500 cards plugged in to an Acer XB280HK monitor connected with a mini display port cable. Not the most classy monitor but (was) okay.

I updated to 10.10.3 and the monitor stayed black no picture, I plugged in my tv via hdmi I got an image, but nothing on the monitor. I restored back to 10.10.2 using time capsule and bingo all back as it should be.

I have now just tried a clean install of 10.10.3, same issue nothing on the monitor, but ok if a bit low res on the hdmi tv. I'm now restoring once again to 10.10.2.

Has anybody else came across this, or hopefully came across a fix cos I can't one.

Many thanks

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Hi,
I have a nmp with d500 cards plugged in to an Acer XB280HK monitor connected with a mini display port cable. Not the most classy monitor but (was) okay.

I updated to 10.10.3 and the monitor stayed black no picture, I plugged in my tv via hdmi I got an image, but nothing on the monitor. I restored back to 10.10.2 using time capsule and bingo all back as it should be.

I have now just tried a clean install of 10.10.3, same issue nothing on the monitor, but ok if a bit low res on the hdmi tv. I'm now restoring once again to 10.10.2.

Has anybody else came across this, or hopefully came across a fix cos I can't one.

Many thanks

Yep, it seems to have broken support for ATI 7xxx series of video cards per these posts:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20956211/

Originally Posted by nadeama View Post
I updated to 10.10.3 last night, and now my Radeon 7770 doesn't work anymore. It was fine before the update. Thanks Apple.
My 7550, now you 7770. I'm getting a bad feeling the entire 7xxx series to a dive.

This sucks. Is there someway to maybe pull the driver from 10.10.2 into 10.10.3 and get things working again? Anyone know?

Has anyone tried taking the ATI drivers from 10.10.2 and putting them in 10.10.3 to see if that works? Not exactly elegant. I think the bozos at apple did this once before, was it for 10.9.2 or something like that. Annoying. Why break stuff, just let it be.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
10.10.3 breaks monitor reverting to 10.10.2 fixes it?

Yep, it seems to have broken support for ATI 7xxx series of video cards per these posts:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20956211/

Has anyone tried taking the ATI drivers from 10.10.2 and putting them in 10.10.3 to see if that works? Not exactly elegant. I think the bozos at apple did this once before, was it for 10.9.2 or something like that. Annoying. Why break stuff, just let it be.

Whats the new heading of Apple???

btw What time is it on your Apple Watch? /s

Last edited:

Cthuluh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Rlyeh
Thanks for the responses,

Aren't the 7xxx series cards option card that could be installed into a cmp?

The the Dxxx series in the nmp are the standard cards for the machine.
Surely Apple haven't broken the driver for that. The machine and graphics cards are new and still current.

Plus with the Yosemite .3 update the hdmi port will produce an image but not the TB port, reverting back to .2 fixes this.

So if that's the case is it a graphics driver issue or a TB driver issue?

Cthuluh

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Thanks for the responses,

Aren't the 7xxx series cards option card that could be installed into a cmp?

The the Dxxx series in the nmp are the standard cards for the machine.
Surely Apple haven't broken the driver for that. The machine and graphics cards are new and still current.

Plus with the Yosemite .3 update the hdmi port will produce an image but not the TB port, reverting back to .2 fixes this.

So if that's the case is it a graphics driver issue or a TB driver issue?

Cthuluh

You have many factual errors which are likely causing you to wonder more than necessary.

There was one and only one cMP card from 7xxx series, the Mac Edition 7950 from Sapphire. Netkas and I gave out some modded versions that worked on some 7970 cards. These two cards share device id with D700, R9 280X, and R9 280, so they will all be OK in future drivers.

The 7870 was also included in drivers but 7850 was not. It was possible in the past to simply add the device id of 7850 to the driver and it would work. You should look up that hack and let us know what device id's are enumerated in the driver.

More than likely that will hold the answer to your question.

As far as your install getting buggered up and requiring a full reinstall, more than likely you didn't fix the permissions of the driver files after moving them.

This ISN'T optional. Must be done or the OS considers the kexts as "dirty" and won't load them.

Please clarify what this means:

Are you using a nMP? Otherwise, there are no TB ports. On a cMP you can use GPU with mDP ports but not TB ports. So which machine and card are you referring to?

Cthuluh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Rlyeh
Hi,
Thanks for your response.
Sorry if I'm not clear I have a new Mac Pro (2013 cylinder) With d500 cards.

I haven't messed around with driver files at all (yet).

I updated to .3 The usual way with the App Store. No display via tb. Yes hdmi.
Reverted to a .2 backup via time capsule. Back to normal.
Clean full install via usb drive to.3. No display via tb. Yes to hdmi.

I hope that clears it up.
Any advise is appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.