Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxmaut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I am using Ableton Live and it has a weird issue that makes me restart the system to re-launch it.

I have a brand new "refurbished" 5k imac, bought from apple that is two weeks old.

When I restarted today the login screen went black. I found a solution online – delete the com.apple file from the library. I did that and now my other languages that I had installed have disappeared.

What's going on with my computer? Is this a sign of something bad coming?

I cannot restart and launch OSX from the first try, need to do hard restart via button on the back (turning it off and on).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

maxmaut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011

richard2

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
England, United Kingdom
I'm not surprised you're experiencing problems considering how much junk you've installed on your Mac. :eek:

Try the following:

1. Use Malwarebytes Anti-malware to remove the all of the intrusive/malicious software from your Mac.
  2. Uninstall the following software:
    • Java
    • LogMeIn
    • PACE iLok (and whatever software installed it)
  3. If the issue persists, then uninstall all non-essential software, one piece at a time.

Although, if I were you, then I'd perform a clean reinstallation of OS X and start again.

Last edited:

maxmaut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Did you recover from a Time Machine backup? I'm wondering how, in two weeks, you could have all that stuff installed on your "new" iMac.

Yes, my system is migrating since 2012-ish, constantly getting updated. It was a mac pro, then rmbp and now iMac. Never experienced any issues until now.

I'm not surprised you're experiencing problems considering how much junk you've installed on your Mac. :eek:

Try the following:

1. Use Malwarebytes Anti-malware to remove the all of the intrusive/malicious software from your Mac.
  2. Uninstall the following software:
    • Java
    • LogMeIn
    • PACE iLok (and whatever software installed it)
  3. If the issue persists, then uninstall all non-essential software, one piece at a time.

Although, if I were you, then I'd perform a clean reinstallation of OS X and start again.

Why do you recommend uninstalling Java? Also, what is the junk that you are referring to?

Also how would you recommend uninstalling other things? I cannot see them anywhere on my drive.

The anti-malware app did find something that it asked to delete by the way.

Thanks for your help.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
When you upgrade through the years via Time Machine, applications and third-party background processes can get passed on to the newer operating system even if they're not compatible with the newer system. Their presence can be disruptive. I have seen this happen over and over with clients.

You have to get rid of what isn't compatible. How? Two ways:
  1. Examine your system carefully (via such things as the Etrecheck report) and do the research on everything in there. Get rid of what you have discovered is incompatible. If you don't know what you're doing, this method can bring on a world of pain.
  2. Start from scratch with a new system and reinstall what you need.
I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to troubleshoot what's going on with your system via a web forum. Just start with the second option and be prepared to have to update some of the software that you have been using in previous versions of Mac OS X.

Reactions: maxmaut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.