10-15 day wait @ Apple Store. Screen revisions? (15" PB)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by citizenchunk, Oct 25, 2003.

1. citizenchunk macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2003
    all of you are no doubt aware of the screen defects with some 15" AluBooks. (the white spots.) i've read posts that Apple is trying to address these issues.

currently, there is a 10-15 day wait for a new 15" powerbook at the Apple Store, and many vendors (according to www.powerbookcentral.com) are reporting no stock.

does this mean that the next batch of powerbooks will have fixed screens? no more white spots? it will be interesting to get user opinions after the shipping times turn into "same day."
  2. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    Re: 10-15 day wait @ Apple Store. Screen revisions? (15" PB)

The screen rpoblem hasn't been as widespread as some think. I've seen about two dozen 15 Albooks and haven't seen a white spot yet. I'm sure apple is working with the body a bit, probably trying to firm up the closing, but more likely the delay is due to depleted stock and panther.

Many people have been given ship days two weeks in the future and their machines have shipped right along with panther. It may be that those users will get panther in the box and the rest will get panther pre-installed.
  3. alia macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    My new powerbook has two very small white spots in the lower left quadrant of the screen. And one dead pixel in the upper right quadrant. I don't know if it bothers me enough to have it replaced though.

4. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Sep 26, 2002
    I am definately sending the new 1.25 in for my 5-6 white spots
  5. Toeknee macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    PB back @ Apple

Yeah my 'book had a dead pixel about half way down the right side about 1" away from the edge and white spots on the lower left side. So I took it to a tech and they sent it back to apple (this was on the 17th) and I still havent gotten it back. So either they are being really careful with the screen and making sure its perfect or there arent many screens in stock. Either way im very ancy to install panther on it when it gets back. Its been so long that i dont even remember what my PB looks like :(
  6. m4rc macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2003
    My 15.2" PB took about 20 days to arrive to the UK. The latch is spot on, and no noises like others have moaned about. It gets very very hoy underneath, but only if on the duvet and getting very little air circulation. In normal ise it is just warm. The top is never over slightly warm. I dont have any stuck pixels, and didn't think I had any white spots until last night.

If the screen is very white, I can see several brighter areas in the middle of the screen. I cant see it at any other time, and although now I know it's there I see them when they are visible, I don't know if I am bothered enough to lose my PB foranymore than a couple of days.

7. citizenchunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2003
    hey! when did this become a consumer reports thread? let's keep focused here!

just kidding. it's good to get your experiences with the new PB's. i hope that there are a lot of happy customers out there who aren't posting because everything just works. i'd like to believe that this problem isn't as widespread as the forums make it out to be.
  8. EZRyde macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2003
    Thanks for all the information above, however, does anyone know for sure why there is a 10-15 day wait for PB's at the Apple Store?