10.2 & 10.4: Sharing Drives...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RBG79, Feb 10, 2006.

1. RBG79 macrumors newbie

Ok so I am looking at getting and old G3 iBook as a file server.

The plan is to attach my external HDD's to that and share them out.

The G3 will be running 10.2 and I'll be accessing the drives from a G4 running 10.4.

Are there any problems with this approach?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it have to be an iBook? Laptops aren't really designed for full time usage so a desktop would be better IMO. However, it's certainly possible to network 10.2 and 10.4. I just don't know how long the iBook will last.

Oh, and I assume the drives can't be attached directly (internally or externally) to the G4. :)

3. RBG79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can pick up a refurbished G3 for 500Euro, whereas to pick up a mac for the same purpose is going to cost 600-700 (I don't have any monitors in the house - G4 iBook only). So thats why i'm thinking of a laptop.

And I'm basically just getting the G3 instead of a NAS. As its a pain in the ass to have to hook the external HDD to the G4 every time i want to acess files on it, if i could do it via the network then it would be easier.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough. I'd still keep your eyes peeled for a cheap used all-in-one Mac simply because it'll be able to handle the strain of a constantly running internal drive. :)

5. RBG79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Yeah the other option is to try and setup a mini with no monitor attached... But i'm not sure if its possible.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A mini would be possible but a pain in the arse. I was thinking an old iMac G4 or even G3.

7. RBG79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've looked at the options
    Old g3's that I've come across are reasnoble priced but all OS9.

I've only just moved across to apple 10 months ago so I'm in the dark when it comes to an OS that old.

Old g4's are def not in my price range for this unfortunately :)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, you really want to avoid OS9. In fact, 10.2 is probably as low as you'd want to go. :)

9. RBG79 thread starter macrumors newbie