Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by giovanni, Jan 5, 2003.

1. giovanni macrumors regular

wow ! what a piece of crap !
    I mean I did read qutie a few reports on problems with this upgrade, so I waited a bit and then went for it the other night.
    Since then I have had nothing but crashes ! I am amazed.

I have a very "clean" computer (dual 867), no strange stuff installed at all. Plus I am pretty sure the problem(s) has to do with "sleep". which amazes me even more since Apple has had problem with that forever. Now, why the f do I need a desktop computer to go entirely to sleep (other than the screen) is quite beyond my imagination. I noticed that the hard disk goes to sleep no matter what even with the option unchecked in the energy saver - which is totally retarded, at least I think so. This was actually the case with the prior version as well.

Anyhow, I have hardly any specific question since I am not sure what the hell is going on - but I pretty much can conclude this update is a waste of time. My system was clearly more stable before (very rare crashes if at all) and I have not gained anything other than crashes ! Again, may be you have suggestions regarding the sleep options. All I know is that twice in the last 24 hours, while I was doing this terribly processor intensive and complex operation such as brwosing the net or checking email, I had a darkened screen with a message in 3 languages (!) saying that I needed to restart by holding down the power button.

Has anyone one gone back to Jaguar ?

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

If you have the Jaguar disks, did you repair your permissions through the Disk Utility in Jaguar Disk 1 recently? Sometimes this can fix problems with Jaguar, but I am not sure if it will fix yours.

If neither this response, nor anyone else's responses help you, I suggest you post your question over at The Tech Pub where the owner of the site is an Apple Technition and may be able to help you out more.

3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I've put 10.2.3 on my G4 powerbook (which had an essentially fresh install of 10.2) and had no problems. I also put it on my dual 500 G4 tower (10.2.2, with lots of apps installed and lots of use) and also have had no problems. The only major things I've noticed is that with each update, illustrator and photoshop seem to keep falling apart here and there :rolleyes:

4. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

ok, thx dudes. I will try to post in that tech forum. I am disappointed but alive. Now though focused on what on earth Apple is going to unveil tomorrow.