10.2.6 won't recognize sound input/output devices

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by janey, Jul 9, 2003.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

i was using my iBook (800, 32vram, 128mb ram-long story, don't ask...i really want 640mb but i can't put in any RAM) with OS X 10.2.6 on it when i opened up iChat AV and realized that i couldn't do audio chats. So i wondered what the f*** was going on and took a peek in System Preferences and found out that the iBook thought that there was no sound input or output device. That's weird...because earlier today with the same computer i was chatting with someone using the built in mic and listening to Evanescence using the speakers. Can anyone help?

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

haveu tried reparing permissions? and checking the mic/volume settings? I've been able to use ichat AV, and itunes on with 10.2.6 running perfectly and i have the same computer

3. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

thanks. i did that, also did a few other things i can't remember and restarted. Works fine. :p

4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Re: 10.2.6 won't recognize sound input/output devices

OK, I just have to ask. What happened? Did you fry the other memory slot or do you just need another memory module? I just added a 512MB to my iBook and I have an extra 128MB one I don't need now...

5. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

Re: Re: 10.2.6 won't recognize sound input/output devices

the ram cover won't come off lol
    since i really don't want to do it myself, i'm taking it to macenthusiasts to get it off since that's what the apple store genius dude told me to do.
    i have a 512mb stick somewhere...i should really go...maybe i'll go right now.

6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I had trouble upgrading the RAM on my iBook the first time I tried too. Those screws are REALLY sensitive to the size of the screwdriver you're using. It HAS to be a #0 Phillips-type screwdriver, or it just plain won't work.

7. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

:) Yes, your iBook will be much happier with 640MB of RAM. It's too bad the other 128MB is hardwired onto the board... 1GB would be nice.

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i did it with another screwdriver and pretty much stripped the screwsbut i eventualyl got them off and back in

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Same problem with the cover on the 17" PBook, but a Swiss Army knife blade works very nicely wgen you haven't got the right driver.

10. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

i got one off but the other wouldn't. but i used a #1 phillips screwdriver. oops :p
    well i got to macenthusiasts a little past 6, which is the time they close...so i was not really happy. The stripped screw's REALLY stripped, even the genius bar dude was surprised...