10.2.8 problem, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pulsewidth947, Apr 25, 2005.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Got a problem that occurs with the iMac DVs at the College I work at - sometimes (randomly) when I'm passing an iMac I notice the screen is filled with a darwin interface. It lists something every 5 or so seconds, stating something could not be initialized or something (i forgot to write down what it said :rolleyes:)

It seems to occur when people log out, as far as i know.

If I type root it asks for my password, which I give then I can use the interface. Problem is I dont know how to restart the computer from this. I've tried exit, logout, quit, restart. The first 3 switch off the darwin window and bring up a blue screen with the circular bar ticker (that you get when you start a mac up on the grey screen), then it goes back to that screen.

I tried shutdown command but it asked me for some more info and I'll be the first to confess that I have no idea what I'm doing!

The only solution I can find at the moment is to hold the power button to switch off the mac, then start it up again. If you need any more information let me know.

2. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Happened again today,

but i wrote down what it said this time.

Code:
    localhost /usr/bin/open : (ipc/send) invalid destination port. initCGDisplayState cannot map interlocks.
    Code:
    kCGErrorFailure: CGSNewConnecitonConnect connect to server. (ipc/send) invalid destination port
    I'm guessing because no-one had any ideas its one of those problems thats fixed with a fresh install.

I just found on google that
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    should restart the computer