10.2 & 9.2 oops...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by .random, Aug 27, 2002.

1. .random macrumors newbie

ok, so i install 10.2 as an upgrade and, well, it just wasn't particularly happy on my machine - lots of little annoyances (such as login items not hiding) but hey, we all know that upgrading isn't nearly as good as a clean install...

so...

i do a clean install of jaguar.
    all is well essentially.
    however now that i've got my computer back to where i want it i, um, realize i forgot to intall 9.2.
    not that i use it much but, well, you never know.
    so i put my 9.2 cd in and boot off it and it tells me that i needs to do a clean install.
    will this erase my h/d like a clean install of 10.2 or will it just put a blank system on the h/d next to 10.2?
    an help at all would be appreciated...
    basically: "how do i install 9.2 on a machine that already has a clean install of 10.2"?

thanks.
    nick

---------

dell 530 2x1.4 ghz xeon 1gb ram 36gb raid
    powerbook (ti) 667 mhz 1gb ram 40gb + 240 gb firewire raid
    next dimension turbo cube 64mb 64mb 1gb
    next cube 32mb 450mb working optical
    lisa 2/5 512k

2. BigBurd macrumors member

BigBurd

I think you .....

I think I remember that, when I originally installed OS X, I started with the OS 9.2 cd, and partitioned the hard drive. (You probably don't have to do this.) After partitioning the hard drive (2 partitions), I installed OS 9.2 on the smaller partition. Then I installed OS X on the larger partition.

At the time, it made a lot of sense for me to do the above. I wanted to keep all OS 9 & OS X items separate.

Do what you want with this information. I'm sure someone will come up with a better solution for you, if you have time to hang on.

Good luck.

3. .random thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you

install went flawlessley.
    took under fifteen minuites and my 10.2 booded right up happy and enhanced with classic.

thank you,
    nick