10.2 and Transparent Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by macsurfer, Aug 18, 2002.

1. macsurfer macrumors regular

Does anyone know WHY Transparent Dock will not work with 10.2? What did Apple do? Are they trying to stop us from using it?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: 10.2 and Transparent Dock

There are major changes between X.1 and X.2, just like there were between X and X.1, just wait until they bring out a version compatible with X.2, it won't be long.

3. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

The dock is transparent in jaguar. If there was some software that added that functionality in 10.1.5, then it is no wonder that it broke, when Apple changed the source code out from under it. What does the software, that I am guessing you are refering to, do that the new 10.2 dock doesn't?

4. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Re: Re: 10.2 and Transparent Dock

Let's hope so, because I really like my transparant dock.
    And I have been checking on Apple's homepage, but it looks like the dock is still not completely transparant.
    Does anybody here run Jag already?
    is there a pref that can be set to transparant (and I mean complete transparancy, not outlined)?
    Could you post some pics of the dock?

thxs in advance.

5. macsurfer thread starter macrumors regular

The dock in Jaguar is NOT, repeat NOT transparent. All they did in Jaguar was take away the pinstripes and make the dock translucent. "Transparent Dock" makes the the dock FULLY transparent.

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I think that what he was saying...

...is that transparent dock uses the dock source code (of course it does). If you change that, then anything that uses it has to change. Since Apple changed the dock, they changed the dock source code. Therefore, any dock tweaks that relied on the old dock code won't work until updated. They keep all the stuff that developers are supposed to use pretty much the same, but they don't worry about breaking stuff that no one is supposed to be using anyway.

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

transparent dock for those who seems confused about what it is exactly.

[​IMG]

8. macsurfer thread starter macrumors regular

9. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

So is this in Jag or not???
    Or is it only without strike?
    ('cause I know what trans dock is I have it myself, and I like it transparant)

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: 10.2 and Transparent Dock

The old dock relied on 3 pdfs (right, middle and left) to make to give it a background. The default pdfs were the pinstripes. The transparent mods were just transparent pdfs to give it no background.

The source that Catfish_Man was speaking of changed the triangle color and got rid of the vectors that were still left after replacing the pdfs.

The dock innards from what I've seen have been completely changed. It seems like a completely code-related task this time. It would be nice if it were just a simple defaults command to change the opacity, like with the terminal. The way the dock looks (~50% opaque) leads me to this conclusion.

11. macsurfer thread starter macrumors regular

This is what the dock looks like when it is made transparent by using the mod hack "Transparent Dock" (http://homepage.mac.com/kfkel) This look is NOT part of Jaguar.

Edit: Actually, what sparkley posted isn't FULLY transparent; Saprkley, you must have chosen semi transparency right? Someone needs to post a pic of a FULLY transparent dock, I would, but I'm not sure how to do it.

12. macsurfer thread starter macrumors regular

I got an email from the author of "Transparent Dock" and he said a Jaguar Compatible version of it will be available either today or tomorrow.

13. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

14. agent302 macrumors newbie

15. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Gotta love the haxies. I want to go get the trasparent dock stuff right now, I've been meaning to, just lazy, oh well, no time like the present.

Ha, 500.

16. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I thought they were cool before! The best indie developer for OS X. Period.