10.2 Buggy and slow 10.1 was better

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coopdog, Oct 27, 2002.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

So far my experence with Jaguar 10.2 has been just plain Bad. About every day i have to boot off the install CD and repair permissions, when i do this there are any where from 5 to 25 permissions gone bad. I get the spinning lollypop on everything! It takes forever to open and use just about every app. Normaly repairing permissions fixes this (only for about a day). 10.1 was much better i think. Is there any way to install 10.1 over 10.2 OR a way i can fix this? Im on a G4 500.

2. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Maybe what you need to do is fix your problem. Your best bet would be to either check
    Applications -> Utilities -> Console -> show log

look around to find out what errors you are getting. 10.2 is great. It is even better if you don't install it over another version, so the other option would be to do a clean install with copying user folder and network preferences option.

10.2 is not your problem. There are a few hundred thousand or whatever people running it without having the problems that you are complaining about.

3. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i have the same problem with permissions corrupting every day. i did an erase and install of 10.2 on to my g3 imac, and have noticed speed improvements in start-up time and webpage scrolling; that's it. i'd say that except for the permissions problem (every once in a while, it gets so bad that i cannot access the internet until i repair them) 10.2 is a little bit better than 10.1, but certainly did not command the price i paid for it. 10.1 vs. 10.0 was a better upgrade and it was free!

4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I have to agree. I did a clean swipe of my drive before installing 10.2 and I too am experiencing less than expected for $130 bucks.

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i am also experiencing the same problems...i did a complete format and 10.2 install...

apps just take forever to load...they just bounce away...its getting to be unbearable and is beyond frustrating...

i believe this problem has to do with 10.2 automatically doing prebinding updates on an app if it thinks it needs it...something really does need to be done.

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am running 10.2 on a G3 400 I-Mac without a hitch. It runs much faster for me than 10.1. However, I did do a clean install because of all of the problems I had with classic on 10.1. I have to restart classic periodically, but my 10.2 is solid as can be.

(I would try a clean install before I abandon 10.2)

Hope it helps.

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Sorry for the double post...

I fogot to mention, my opinion of solid may be jaded. I am a switcher. Lets say 10 times more reliable than the most reliable PC I have ever had. (Which was probably DOS 6.22)

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't had this problem. I even did the archive-and-install instead of the clean method. I did try repairing permissions about three days after installing, because my printer wouldn't work and I thought what the hell. Sure enough, 20+ permissions were fixed, but since then I haven't gone back to see if any more are screwed up, and I haven't been experiencing any symptoms which would lead me to do this again.

I agree that Jaguar is not worth $129. It's not even worth the $69 educational pricing. I know I have Quartz Extreme now, and very slight speed improvements all around, but really - it's just not all that much better than 10.1. 150 new features my arse - they certainly haven't affected me in any meaningful way. I try to look at the bright side, though, in that buying 10.2 gives me 10.3 for free (hopefully). Also, it makes me feel warmth in my heart knowing that I've further contributed to funding the regular maintenance on Steve Jobs' Gulfstream V.

9. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Clean install

"apps just take forever to load...they just bounce away...its getting to be unbearable and is beyond frustrating..." This is the same for me.

-This clean install... I have never done a clean install of X before (I have been running it ever since the day it came out w/o ever doing a clean install so that could be the problem lol). Is it like a OS 9 clean install?
    Can any one give me any guidence on doing a clean install?

I hope the 10.2.2 update fixes this problem.
    I bet the problem is just some little bug in a 10.2 pref or something (i dont know what im talking about) that was never fully explored, I bet 10.2.2 update will fix it. Ill look on applecare to see if this problem has been reported.

10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i was unimpressed with jaguar when i did a
    archive and install. system problems..slow
    performance. i was even gonna / actually I DID
    put my tibook on ebay, yet during the time of the
    auction i reformated (backed up first) reinstalled
    and hunky dory I LOVE Jaguar.

im even risky when it comes to running things
    like...dragstrip. candybar well, they never hurt
    my machine.

oh, edit: norton antivirus seems to slow my
    window draw down a bit when opening new
    windows...so i reformated and reinstalled
    AGAIN. But i did not install norton....all is
    really good. has been for months...i never
    restart.

make sure you have ram.

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

actually im running 10.2.2 and there hasnt really been a change. ichat is definitely more stable, but thats about it. im still running into the endless application bounce.

12. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    prior to 10.2 i had one kernel panic. now, in a few short months, i have had three. now if this was 9, 3 crashes would be acceptable, but i believe that a $130 upgrade should yield LESS crashes, not more.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Besides the general permission problems and the system hacks and addons I wonder if in general the people having problems are those with older hardware.

Please post what hardware your running 10.2 on and the exact version number of the system you are running (the build number can be found by clicking on the version number in the About This Mac dialog). Along with this give a short explanation of how it working for you.

To start it off.

I have a Dual/Ghz/DDR with 1 gig of ram. I'm running 10.2.1 build 6D52.

I have had nearly no problems with 10.2.1 with absolutely no slow downs ever. Any problems I do have are cured by a quick fix of permisssion.

14. lera macrumors member

kernel panic usually means you have something wrong with the hardware. If it's becoming more common that probably means that the something is getting worse it's not likely the fault of 10.2

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

kernel panic means exactly that. The kernel panicked. It doesn't have to be because the hardware had a failure and rarely is because of a hardware problem(unless of course you are overclocking). It usually is because a software glitch.

16. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I had only one issue with kernel panics, and that was with the developer beta of 10.2. It took me 20 seconds, after rebooting and logging in to figure out what it was. AFS was crashing if I tried to copy a file into an AFS directory. The system logs told me exactly what was breaking. I removed AFS, and all was good. I reported the bug, they fixed it, no more problems.

If you have a problem with kernel panics, it is unlikely that posting your gripes here will solve your problems. If you can, however, figure out what is breaking (not rocket science in a unix based os) it is likely that you can report the bug, and if the company is worth anything, they will attempt to fix it. If they don't fix it, get rid of their software and look for other options, because the developers suck! if they don't support their software on Mac OS X.

17. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I guess I've been lucky because I've had zero issues with Jaguar, and even less than that with 10.2.1 heh. If your having a kernal panic issue you should really listen to peterjhill because he's right.

18. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I've only experienced one kernel panic (with my roommate's iMac). The issue: RAM.

We removed the aftermarket RAM and viola! Everything worked. I told him not to get the cheapest chip out there...

PS: It's really nice to hear that I'm not the only one having issues with 10.2. It's almost turning into a support group.

"Hi, my name is tfaz1, and I'm having problems with Jaguar..."

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

With earlier builds of 10.x Apple actually requested that you write down or take a digital picture of the text on the screen when you had a kernel panic and post it in a specific spot in the Apple Support section. I know I had about 4 of them with my B/W G3 with 10.1.5. None of them were hardware and they were all easily fixed by removing some sort of haxie or another.

Again I would really like to know what computers people are having problems with 10.2 on. I have had absolutely no problems on my new Dual/Ghz/DDR. I wonder if it is simply because it is new hardware and the most fully supported.

20. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

About a week ago i did this little hack that messes w/ the os x system and changes the spinning lolly pop to differnt images. I also messed w/ the dock color. Could this make the permissions mess up faster than other machines?