10.2 costs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CharlesOwens6, May 11, 2002.

1. CharlesOwens6 macrumors newbie

Hey does anyone know how much Apple will charge for 10.2 upgrade?
    $20 again?

iMac 800mhz SuperDrive
    5 gig ipod
    Sound Sticks iSub

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Without knowing how large the installer image will be, or if it will be available for downloading. I would imagine that anyone that purchased 10.1, or a system since that was released, will be able to get a cd with 10.2 on it for the $20. That is what Apple has done in the past with OS updates. I would hope that they put it online, so that those of us with fast internet connections (1Mb+) will be able to download it and burn a cd. We could then install the full update and wait for the cd to arrive. I probably won't go to a store to get it this time, since I purchased 10.1 (full retail version). I also picked up my new TiBook last Friday, and am keeping the coupons for the software update.

3. CharlesOwens6 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

It would make sense for them to charge the $20 CD fee, I just don't think Apples servers (even if they are OSX.2 Server) being able to take hundreds of thousands of people downloading the same file, all at the same time :)

Ensign

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

...unless the new MacRacks are 2 GHz G5s... :D

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

yeah, I wish.

Anyone want to lend me to cash to get one?

Ensign

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i don't think downloading it is realistic in general... it's probably going to be pretty big, so it will be a long download. of course, these days more and more people have fast internet, so that's not that bad. but, i really don't think most people would know how to burn themselves a bootable cd of the installer. now of course, those people have the option to get the cd from apple stores or online or hopefully even local apple resellers, but i just don't know that there's enough people who WOULD know how... i mean, i'm a mac head of sorts (not a tech or anything) but i would have a hard time burning a bootable os x.2 cd. i'd have to come here just to find out how. haha :p

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

it will probably be a 20 dollar buy from the online apple store for shipping and handling or a free upgrade if you go to the apple store or an authorized dealer and get it. I work at an authorized apple dealer and they shipped the 10.1 cds to us early saturday morning, the day it came out. i bet thats what they will do this time. it wont be a download. to big.

iJon

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

jelloshotsrule, all you would need is Toast... Download the image, mount it, and select if from Toast and make sure you have the bootable option checked. It takes less then a minute from the time you mount the image file to when you will be starting the burn. Burn time depends on what you have for a burner. It should range from 3 minutes all the way up to 30 (for the slow pokes who still use burners slower then 8x).

10. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I think it will be one that you'll pay for:

General guide:

Pay for updates:
    If the new version number has increased by .1 (or .2,.3 and so on) or goes up a version, generally you pay for the upgrade . A exception to this is iPhoto-the upgrade is free.
    Examples:

Mac OS X 10.0-10.1
    iPhoto 1.0-1.1
    Macromedia Freehand 9-10

If the new version number goes up by .001, the update is free:
    Examples:
    Babya System 10-10.0.1 (or .01 is more familar for pc users)
    Netscape 4.5-4.51
    Adobe Pagemaker- 7.0-7.01

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I refused to pay for the 10.1 upgrade (since we all know that should have been 10.0 ;) ) but 10.2 actually looks worth it. The file permissions in the Get Info box is enough to be excited about... throw in spring-loaded finder windows, a new address book, accelerated quartz, (excuse me, "Quartz Extreme"), and things be lookin' mighty good!