10.2: Do I need it?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blackpeter, Sep 23, 2002.

1. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Just thinking about making a 10.2 purchase, but I was scared off by cNet. Here's what they say:

Jaguar, Apple's new version of Mac OS X, packs a much bigger upgrade wallop than its 10.2 version number suggests. Part of the punch is the price: Jaguar costs $129 (no upgrade discount if you bought before July 17) for one user or $199 for a five-user license. But its slightly improved interface, powerful new networking tools, three new applications, and better performance and stability finally bring to fruition Mac OS X's potential. If you bought OS X 10.1 recently and aren't looking for networking support, $129 is too much to pay. But if you're a business user or have a cross-platform home network, take a serious look at Jaguar.

Do you guys agree with this review? Is it necessary that I upgrade if I'm just a home user?

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

are you a student or a teacher?

then its only $69.00

I like 10.2 and I have seen some big improvements on my system. $129 is a lot of cash if you just spent money on 10.1.. its a matter of how Much of a MacHead you are... NEED is relitive...

-evildead

3. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, I lost my student status a few years ago, but I've got a friend still in school. How did you guys get your student versions? On campus?

4. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

"Jaguar costs $129 (no upgrade discount if you bought before July 17) for one user or $199 for a five-user license. "

Thats dirt cheap in comparison to Microsoft...

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

If you've already switched to X than YES, it's mandatory.

If you're still using 9 and you can stand it, wait and buy a machine with Jag installed or get together some folks who'd be into splitting a 5 pack...;)

6. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manditory? Why? What am I getting (remember, as a home user) that's worth $130?

PS: Can anyone tell me where to get Jag at student prices?

7. Raiden macrumors regular

Apple.coms store for education. I got my jag that way, they didnt even make me give them proof I was a student. I thought that was cool.

Anyway, in a nutshell, heres what you get. You get rendevous, updated mail, finder improvements, incredible speed enhancements, better stabability, ichat, ical, and the piece of mind that you are using the best operating system ever created.

Its not worth 130, CNET is right, but IMO it was worth (barly) 70.

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

tfaz, here's whats up. It's $129. For that you get a HUGE increase in performance.

Whether you have a QE enable machine (16mb or more AGP graphics) or an ibook with 8mb of video, like my buddy doug, the speed increase is worth $129 alone. On my ANCIENT dual 450, OS X.2 is a HUGE jump in performance, making it almost as quick as OS 9 and SURELY quicker in apps like PS that take advantage of DP.

It's just as stable, the combination of iCal, Mail and Address book can get you MS free (but thinkfree office or appleworks for those pesky word docs) the speed increase is dramatic and yea, networking is awesome. Especially if you wanna do USB printer sharing. My dad's HP (we share an office) showed up on my network. I can print to his machine or my epson. Pretty fantastic if you have more than one mac.

If you have a plam, you'll need X.2 to run iSync and rid yourself of the shabby palm desktop. And of course, iChat is pretty darn cool itself.

As you can plainly see, $129 is not too much of an investment in that much of a performance increas. I have it on a tibook 667, a CRT iMac 600, a dual 450, and a dual gig. Awesome all around. Buy it. Don't be cheap. You and your make will love it.

9. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Echoing a previous post, Jaguar is almost a must if you are using OS X already, whether you are a business user or not. The issue with the Jaguar update is not so much the additional features as much as sheer performance. It will speed up and improve your Mac's performance.

I read the same review you quoted. Journalists often try to appear balanced and neutral in their reviews, and often qualify their recommendations. Unfortunately in this case, the balance the journalist was trying to achieve was a bit forced: there is simply no reason not to upgrade to Jaguar if you already run OS X.

10. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Then have her buy it for you... just go to apple.com and go the the EDU section

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

All the prices are ajusted for students. You have to enter your schools name to prove your a student. Apple does Audit EDU discounts and I have hear of some people that have gotten busted. Have your girlfriend get it...

Im still a student... so I got mine that way... Pre-order

-evildead

11. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting, Evil. I never specified that this friend of mine was a guy or a girl, but now they're my girlfriend also? ;)

12. gopher macrumors 65816

Jaguar is even cheaper if you are government employee. Only $64.50. And again they asked for no proof.

13. {1984} macrumors member

i think you should get it, the applications are very good and it runs a lot smoother than 10.1

14. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

well, it hasn't given me any real speed improvements which is what i was hoping for. however, there are certain features of .mac that i believe require 10.2 and as more apps are developed more and more may require 10.2 as a minimum. Rendesvous is cool but if you can afford to wait until January maybe we will see 10.3 which i'm guessing will also cost $129. i'd wait.

15. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

while you dont need it per se, it is great. ichat is so much better than the mac version of AIM and if you have a graphics chip that can take advantage of Quartz Extreme then i highly recommend you upgrade. Also, sherlock has now become a great standalone app, providing a variety of services

16. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just placed the order! How long does ground shipping typically take?

17. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It'll be coming from Sac. Give it 3-5 working days. You can track it from the confirmation e-mail data once it ships.;)

I'd say 3 days or less considering it's about 45 minutes' drive to Elk Grove from Oakland.:D

18. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

There's been a lot of talk of QE compatibility with a 16Mb graphics card - I've got a Cube 450Mhz w/768Mb Ram and an ATI Rage 128. Do I have to upgrade the card to a GeForce 2 or 3, or will I notice a speed increase in OSX.2 as it stands now?

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

from what i've heard from many people who have non QE capable computers, or know people with them.... they all say they still see a noticeable speed difference

ask someone like backtothemac... he had an ibook that wouldn't support it i believe... and i'm pretty sure mc68k doesn't have a supported graphics card....

20. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Cube, ATI Rage & QE

While many things have been sped up under 10.2, the biggest performance enhancement comes from the addition of Quartz Extreme.

QE will not work with a Rage 128. You need a Radeon or GeForce 2+ to run it with 32MB recommended.

I run on an iBook 500Mhz (no QE enhancement). The OS X experience is generally better with 10.2, but it's not significantly faster than 10.1.5. I suspect that YMMV (your mileage may vary) depending upon the type of machine you run it on.

21. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I would definitely recommend upgrading to 10.2, mainly because you will have to have it to upgrade any of your iApps. Plus QE rocks, and iChat is pretty cool as well. All in all, it was definitely worth the $69 I payed. (I'm a college student.)

22. gopher macrumors 65816

Any 16MB of VRAM machine with AGP supports Quartz Extreme. It says so on Apple's website. If you are using PCI you are almost out of luck, though if you search http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ you'll find a few hacks to bring Quartz Extreme to PCI graphics cards with 16MB of VRAM.