10.2 from 9.2 osx installation problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by caab222, Jul 6, 2006.

1. caab222 macrumors newbie

Help!...I just received the osx 10.2 install discs and when i try to install on my b&w mac g3 (w/g4 sonnet upgrade) the window asks to restart, and after restart it goes back to 9.2.2 ...when i hold down the "c" key (on restart) it gives me a "folder + ? " alternating icon. Is there a firmware I'm missing? how do i find out my current firmware or am I missing something here?...please help!.

Chris

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

3. caab222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Danny: thanks for the link...when I ran the update, it said that this has already been done. My keyboard/mouse are all USB.

I did upgrade the original internal cd to a dvd-r recently but I can read the install disk just fine (it is a CD)....is there any trick to force a system install? it seems to always want to restart back to 9.2.2?

Chris

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Any chance of putting the original CD player back into the G3, and try to install form that?

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I could be remembering this totally wrong, but I thought that some early G3s (might've been the beige ones) would refuse to boot from OSX install discs if the optical drive wasn't master (or maybe it was slave... forget which). Since you upgraded it, I figure there's an off chance it got set differently, so maybe that's why.

Just a guess, though. Can you boot from other CDs (your OS9 install discs, for example)?

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

7. caab222 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give the old CD a try..Don't have any other install discs to try.

keep your fingers crossed!

thanks all, will report back!

8. caab222 thread starter macrumors newbie

took out the DVD-R and replaced with the orig. CD and BING! that was the ticket! she loaded like a champ...thanks all!

Chris