10.2 Help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Biker21098, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Biker21098 macrumors member

Hi all, I need mucho help. Im running a PM G4 450, with 640 megs of RAM. I having huge issues with OS 10.2 I upgraded using my friends 10.2 CD that came with his eMac. I upgraded from 10.1.5. Now i hard freeze at random times. No rhyme or reason. When it freezes I ahve to hit the restart button. It locks of everything. I have deleted many extra files, haxies, etc. I have cleaned out everything I really can. I can usually solve these issues, however this time im totally stuck! I tried re-upgrading re-installed 10.2 all over again. Still having the issues. It doesnt seem to be any certain apps. It has frozen in AOL, IE, MS Word, Photoshop 7.0 It is very bad, it must have frozen 30+ times in only 12 hrs. I have tried multiple friends, no one can help. I was hoping you all could.
    Thanks so much in advance, CJ

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

punishment from a higher power for using a 10.2 CD you didn't pay for....

3. Biker21098 thread starter macrumors member

maybe...

maybe so, but i am a firm believer in not paying for updated OS's, new OS's sure, but an small upgrade should not be so much. lol, i still need help PLEASE!!!

4. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i recommend that you support apple and buy a copy yourself if you wish to use it

5. Biker21098 thread starter macrumors member

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

aren't the operating system CDs that come with the comps still comp-specific? I remember trying to put 9.0.4 from my G4's install CDs on my powerbook and had some probs, but when i used 9.1 from the OSX package no probs.

7. Biker21098 thread starter macrumors member

hum...

hum... thats a neat idea, i would hope thats true. I seem to think it isnt, but maybe thats a new thing. That would be so cool if that as my only issue.

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

jag runs fine (so far) on my dual 500, which is about the age of your machine I believe (from what your sig says).

can you get an edu discount? for $69 it's worth it

9. Biker21098 thread starter macrumors member

my 450

ya my 450 is a single and it was one of the first. Apple accidently shipped it with a DVD-RAM drive, instead of the standard DVD-ROM drive. i talked to someone form apple, they said they made a mistake on the first 8 450's that were for the public, so i have one of the very first. Anyway, i am a student, do students get eh discount. iM going into 12th grade. thanx for all the feedback.

10. Choppaface macrumors 65816

11. Biker21098 thread starter macrumors member

12. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Re: maybe...

10.2 isn't just a small upgrade...it's a huge performance boost with many new features...

13. agentpaul420 macrumors newbie

iChat

Ok this is changing the subject but it is a question about 10.2...can u create a profile in iChat??? I know u can view other people's profiles, but i can't figure out how to make ur own profile. That is the one thing stopping me from making the switch from AIM to iChat. Let me know if anyone knows something i don't. THANX :D

14. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

Re: maybe...

Although i didn't pay for my copy of Jaguar(It came with my new 17 inch iMac), I do think that its worth the money, especially since you can get it for $69 via education discount. Compared to OS X v. 10.1.5, 10.2 is pretty much a completely new operating system, having over 150 new features. It has been running great on my machine, i can't understand why not on yours, my guess would be the same as scem0's, punishment for not giving Apple your money. I recommend paying for major OS updates in the future. I hope you get it workin, its a great OS, Good Luck:)