10.2 iMac (rev D) error

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by scem0, Aug 27, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

When my screen resolution is set at 1,024 x 768 the colors ge all messed up, and lines appear at the bottom of the screen. THis didn't happen in 10.1.5 - it also doesnt happen in 800 x 600 screen mode. I am runing on a 333 MHz Rev D iMac.

2. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I have the stock video card in it (Rage pro with 8 megs of video memory) just FYI. I hope someone can help me, because being in 800x600 sucks anus :(.

3. vniow macrumors G4

Did you do a clean install or just an upgrade?

4. 3777 macrumors 6502

I spoke to soon, this is a problem with OSX not supporting video cards of older hardware. I have am iMac DV, thought everything was fine, but now upon restart I have a green, then blue after resart, then dark yellow, ect...... Apple added support through the OSX 10.1 patches, then apparantly forgot to put it in OSX 10.2. This lame ass crap is exactly the reason I got an Alienware for a primary system rather then a G4. Apple seems to only care about customers who bought their harware last week, rather then last year.

5. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Upgrade.....

I dont think that apple would overlook an error like this. And I havnt seen anyone posting about this error. I cant be the only one with old hardware on 10.2 in the whole macrumors community.... I hope not :(.

Well, I am trying the disk utility repain function right now. i doubt it will work though.

I just wanted to comment on how good iChat is. Even though it had nothing to do with my error. It rox.

6. 3777 macrumors 6502

I'm checking to make sure my firmware was up to date now.....:D

7. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Im pretty sure my firmware was up to daye but I could be wrong. I cant run norton, I think it isnt available with 10.2. probably a patch on their website, but im to tired and lazy to look.

8. 3777 macrumors 6502

Check with apple's support page....

There are two new versions, 2.4, then 4.1 ........I just updated to 2.4 and my screen is working fine. I'm about to do a second update to 4.1 now. I think that was the source of our OSX problems.....

9. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Re: Check with apple's support page....

Thanks!! I'll do that now. I appreciate this a lot!

10. 3777 macrumors 6502

11. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Dang it

Those upgrades are for slot-leading iMacs only. My iMac isnt a slot-loading iMac. I have the most recent firmware for my Rev D iMac. :( Im unhappy again.

How do you figure out what firmware you have?

12. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: Dang it

If your firmware is up to date then it will not allow an older or the same version to install. It will tell you your up to date. Well 2.4 definitely fixed my problems with screen, which sounded a lot like yours. You could try it...... just for the heck of it, if it's not meant for your system then I don't think the uinstaller will allow it to work.......or a better idea......... download firmware update 1.1 ...... that is for all iMacs I think, and see if that does the trick?

I would say your firmware is definitely the problem...... my system's screen was a mess, I couldn't even see the desktop, then one firmware update and it's completely perfect.....

13. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Re: Re: Dang it

I tried to dl 1.1 and it said I was already up to date. I dled 2.4 and it said it wasnt compatible with my mac. There isnt anything there to dl that I havnt got already. It does sound like if I could dl that 2.4 it would fix it.... .dang

14. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Dang it

Here is your last shot........ the below link has other firmware updates, including a 1.2 ....... i'm going to sleep, good luck!

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...pdates/English-North_American/Macintosh/iMac/

15. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Sorry for wasting your time, I really do appreciate the help. I am gunna call apple tomorrow. I got schoo tomorrow, and im an insomniac so I wont be asleep till 2:30-3:00. If you figure anything out post here or PM me. If anyone has had a similar problem and has fixed it PLEASE help me. It would be greatly appreciated.

16. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Just to let y'all know the error fixed itself. I left the computer on all night, and if i am not mistaken the computer runs utilities and repairs itself at ~3:00 in the morning. I came to the computer the next morning and it was fine. So for if you ever have this problem, just dont worry about it :D!