10.2 Install CD question...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Catfish_Man, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

...my friend and I were attempting to install 10.2 (6C75, and 6C92). Both images create a CD that begins to boot, but then hangs. When started in single-user/verbose mode it goes normally until it says "panic: we are hanging here". I remember reading about this problem before, and am wondering if anyone has some advice. The computer we're installing on is a G4 450 (AGP graphics v2.9) with 320MB of PC100 ram, a Que Firewire CD-RW drive (currently unplugged), 2 USB keyboards (one currently unplugged), and an Adaptec SCSI card. It's running 10.2 6C48.

2. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

3. MacMaster macrumors 6502

:rolleyes: LOL! I remember getting the "we're hanging here" error when my dad's iMac 400 DV got really messed up while running osX. While booted in os9 he saw a folder that was taking up lots of space so he deleted it:eek:. Then he went back to osX and the thing crashed the crash to end all crashes. It turned out that the folder that he deleted was used by osX somehow. It took him about 5 days of almost non-stop work when he was home to get it running again. He'll never mess with the osX system folder again...:D :rolleyes:I'm not sure if this has any connection to your problem though.:eek:

-MacMaster

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Have you tried taking out the SCSI card?

SCSI can cause all kinds of weird boot problems...thank God for Firewire!

5. Catfish_Man thread starter macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I'm using...

...Toast Titanium 5.1.4, set on "Mac Volume".

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: I'm using...

Did you check the little box that allows you to make the cd bootable??? Why didn't you use the 'Copy' from the Toast menu?? Is this the OEM copy (included with burners) or the retail version?? If it's not the retail one, that is the issue.

7. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Re: 10.2 Install CD question...

Did you actually BURN your CD? You will not be able to install the system from a volume mounted from a disc image. You need the thing on a CD physically, inside your Apple-firmware built-in CD drive.

One more thing: Don't mount the image before you burn it, this will spoil it.

8. Catfish_Man thread starter macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

OK, it's installed now...

..but it has *major* issues. When you start up it starts up normally until it gets to the screen that normally has a progress bar showing what it's doing. That progress bar is missing, although the window is there. After a few seconds of that, it goes to the normal blank "logging in" screen, and sits there switching into console mode for about 1/10th of a second every few seconds. Any ideas?

9. JonD macrumors member

Burn the disc as a "Disc Image" in Toast. Just drag the disc image you downloaded there and hit burn... worked for me :) And now I'm running 6c98, and it's niiiiiccee. Way better than 87, which sucked IMHO.