10.2 (Jaguar) mail problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Apple][Forever, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

I have upgraded my machines to 10.2 and am now having problems with the new Mail.app... it doesn't seem to want to authenticate me to my smtp server... but when i turn authentication off, it works half the time. The other half of the time, it refuses the connection. I have 2 hosting provider accounts (I do websites) and a mac.com account and it happens on all of them. anyone else have this problem?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: 10.2 (Jaguar) mail problems?

Yeah, just one, scrap mail.app and use Entourage (part of M$ Office X suite), sadly, and I do mean sadly, it's much better than the mail.app. :(

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

No problems on my end. I'm using Mac.com and an IMAP account on one of my servers.

4. Apple][Forever thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: 10.2 (Jaguar) mail problems?

wish i could but $$$ enter into that (not suprising considering it's microsoft, right? :))

i've been thinking of mailsmith or another 3rd party app as well, but again the $$$ question...

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: Re: 10.2 (Jaguar) mail problems?

Erm....not to encourage any illegal activitie, but you've heard of Limewire right?? ;)

6. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

anyone know if i can use hotmail with the mail app?

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Not that I know of.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i've had a few smtp problems with mail... but no more than usual with problems from my mail server itself. are you sure it's mail and not the server?

9. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Mail Question

how about receipts? I work at an ad agency and like having delivery confirmation of proofs to clients. Is there a tab I'm missing for attaching a read receipt?

10. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Mail Problems

And not to post twice in a row, but I've had problems with mail.app losing the password I've told it to hold on to. It's doing it on two different machines (a G3 300 & a Dual 500 G4, both running jag)

11. stromie952 macrumors regular

I am having a more serious problem with Mail.app

When I click on the icon in the dock, it tries to open for 1 or 2 bounces and then stops without loading the program.

Thanx for any help

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Did you try fixing the alias?

13. stromie952 macrumors regular

Yep, but to no avail

The app still will not load

Any other suggestions would be appeciated

Thanx

14. stromie952 macrumors regular

Well, I figured it out after all

When I deleted the prefs for mail.app, it loaded right up as if it were brand spanking new

:)

Thanx

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Apple][Forever, you could try deleteing the accounts that are in Mail at the moment & then create new accounts. might help, but i'm not sure.

16. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

My mac.com works fine..my ISP doesn't seem to..I haven't yet tried turning authentication off so we'll see...

17. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

hey dreg

Telstra Bigpond Cable is stuffed, it won't work with MAC OSX , some reports from whirlpool.com.au have said that they have tried to send a 3mb file and it took 45mins, what a joke there is a fix yet it slow the upload speed to 3k, which is not enought :(

my mac.com mail works yet my ISP is stuffed

18. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

yeah..sending attachments through telstra is not a viable option right now..wonder whats wrong

19. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I have mail app working just fine. I have three IMAP accounts as detailed below. Some ISPs do not require a password when you send mail, but do not allow you to send mail unless you are logged on through them.

Some ISP's support SSL secure data pipes, but some don't (mac.com). Before you give up on mail.app, make sure you check with your mail provider and see exactly what options that you can set for your imap/pop and smtp settings. If you have the choice between imap and pop, choose imap!!!

I won't touch Entourage with a ten foot pole. I have it installed, but I actually appreciate the fact that Apple is going with the separate apps for the entourage functionality. I prefer the new Address book over any others (including palm and entourage). I am looking forward to iCal.

Work
    Kerberos IMAP Auth with SSL
    SMTP with simple password auth using SSL

ISP
    Simple Password Auth no SSL (damn ISP)
    SMTP with with no password

mac.com
    Simple Password Auth no SSL (damn mac.com)
    smtp with simple password, no SSL

20. Kavok macrumors member

The main problem I've been having with Mail, isn't even Mail's fault that I can tell. My problem has been that the Keychain access settings keep reverting to requiring confirmation prior to accessing my e-mail accounts. I've gone through the Keychain and found that they're all preset to requesting confirmation. I've subsequently rest all the passwords so hopefully this will solve the problem. Apparently when you check the "remember password" option in Mail, it's not over-riding Keychain's settings.

21. TKERyder macrumors newbie

Jaguar Mail ok with Microsoft exchange server

The MIS guys at the company I work for asked me if the new Jaguar mail program would work with their Microsoft Exchange server without using a POP connection. I am trying to convince them that this will work so much better than the MS Outlook (OS 9) that I am using now.

Can anyone help? as soon as I give them the "ok it will work" (and hopefully this is how) they will get the new OS.