Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Hey all,

I've been playing with 10.2 Server recently and it's really cool.
I was wondering though, if it is OK to use 10.2 Server for daily use as just a workstation? Is anyone doing this?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
there is absolutely no problem with it. it's actually fun to toy around with and learn about server management. but yeah, it's the same mac os X 10.2, just with some extra abilities.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Excellent :D Server has a lot of fun toys to play with.

The iBook is not listed under supported hardware, yet it's installing on my 500Mhz iBook. They probably just don't want people trying to host off an iBook and complaining about speed.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Using Server as a workstation is no problem. It's no different "under the hood" from Client once you take away the server apps and services.

Apple doesn't list any portables as supported for the server OSes, but they work just fine.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
a little OT. i'm gearing up for the Apple Certification exams and i'm planning to pick up Jag Server. i figure it will be great practice to admin a little network here in the house. i have an old G3 PM to run OS X Server. a Wintel running ME and one running BeOS. plus my PowerBook and and iBook, both w/Airport. any tips, scenarios i should setup, etc, that would be good to practice my chops? i'm also learning the Unix Terminal for OS X as well as AppleScript and FileMaker Pro. any suggestions would be awesome. thanks!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by tjwett
a little OT. i'm gearing up for the Apple Certification exams and i'm planning to pick up Jag Server. i figure it will be great practice to admin a little network here in the house. i have an old G3 PM to run OS X Server. a Wintel running ME and one running BeOS. plus my PowerBook and and iBook, both w/Airport. any tips, scenarios i should setup, etc, that would be good to practice my chops? i'm also learning the Unix Terminal for OS X as well as AppleScript and FileMaker Pro. any suggestions would be awesome. thanks!

Well first of all make it (different services) work for all OSes!
Create a password server, DHCP Server, LDAP Server, NFS automount... and so on.
I must advise installing the 10.2.6 update of the server before experimeting as many SMB-bugs are squashed by then.
If you want to make the DNS work, that'll be gr8 practice for your terminal skills.
Mac OS X Server 10.2.6 is by far the Apple's best piece of software, ever! And Panther Server should be even better... <can't wait for that>.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Well first of all make it (different services) work for all OSes!
Create a password server, DHCP Server, LDAP Server, NFS automount... and so on.
I must advise installing the 10.2.6 update of the server before experimeting as many SMB-bugs are squashed by then.
If you want to make the DNS work, that'll be gr8 practice for your terminal skills.
Mac OS X Server 10.2.6 is by far the Apple's best piece of software, ever! And Panther Server should be even better... <can't wait for that>.

thanks for the tips. i'm getting buried in OS X Server and i'm still just breaking the surface. this is seriously deep stuff, especially since i don't know what i'm doing ;) lots of fun though. thanks again.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
You're welcome.

I hope you enjoy exploring the many, many possibilities of OS X Server.
And the fun part is that for most of your work, Apple has given you the utils and setup assistants in Aqua!
Server Management has never been so versatile, easy and good looking as Jaguar Server.

Have fun. I'm sure you're going to like it.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.