10.3.1 - Safari stability problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by iPC, Nov 12, 2003.

1. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Ever since I upgraded to 10.3.1 I am getting random crashes while using Safari. I get the message along the lines of "Safari has unexpectantly quit" and it asks me if I want to send a report to Apple (I always do).

Has anyone else noticed this? I did not have this with 10.3.0 or 10.2.x series. Is there a solution other than waiting for a Safari update?

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm not having any issues with it.

Have you already repaired permissions and all that?

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: 10.3.1 - Safari stability problems

You running Pithhelmet?

arn

4. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

I've had the same problem but it's only when I'm on java type site. I'm just waiting for next update which maybe here by end of the yr. To me it's not a big deal as long as it starts up again.

5. digitalpoint macrumors newbie

I don't see Safari crashing, but I am getting annoying hangs with Safari every few minutes (beachball for about 5 seconds, then it's fine). Anyone else seeing this? Doesn't matter what site I'm on... it could even be an empty browser window.

This has been happening with 10.3 (and 10.3.1).

- Shawn

6. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I haven't had the problem with 10.3.1 but had it frequently with 10.3.0 (And only with the 7B85 build at that: the earlier builds I used it with worked fine). At least it brought up the little bug reporting window each time - hopefully they've been working on it with that.

7. notkevin macrumors member

I was having problems with safari with 10.3.0, but with 10.3.1 I haven't had it crash. It might just be a coincidence since I don't remeber the patch notes mentioning safari.

8. iPC thread starter macrumors 6502

iPC

Re: Re: 10.3.1 - Safari stability problems

Nope. Never heard of it until now.

WeatherPop and Ape are the only non-Apple apps I have running all the time.

9. Noiseboy macrumors regular

Constant crashing

I must say I've not had a particularly auspiciuos start with Panther.
    Safari crashes several times a day and so does mail. They crash with a bug report screen which I fill in and try to send but which quite often causes a Kernel Panic resulting in a forced reboot. I can't boot from my external FW drive now either. It was fine before and will mount on the desktop but when I try to switch startup volume it tries to boot from the external drive and then reverts to the internal drive. I might abandon Panther and go back to Jag until it's all a lot more stable.

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's odd, in the past 2 months of using OS X, I've never once had a problem with Safari. I'm pretty amazed by how quickly it renders pages compared to IE on OS 9, now that sucked and Netscape never seems to be widely compatible with many websites and took forever and a day to startup. I just cannot believe I used anything besides Safari now.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Re: 10.3.1 - Safari stability problems

Does it still happen when they're not installed?

12. iPC thread starter macrumors 6502

iPC

Re: Re: Re: Re: 10.3.1 - Safari stability problems

Yes it does :(

13. Klixon macrumors newbie

Font Book causing Problem

Font Book is the problem. I was having a similar issue and by disableing my fonts and deleting the one's I knew I didn't need. Then I re-enbaled the fonts that I need to use and Safari began to work properly again.

The bugs have not been completely worked out of Safari yet.

14. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

No problems at all here, had 10.3.1 since the weekend, and it's been solid with Safari.

Everything is definately snappier.

15. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

The only beachball I'ved ever seen is when sometimes I check my bookmarks..it could be because I have alot of them but once it does it once it never does it again. It also could be I need another 512megs of ram as well.

16. digitalpoint macrumors newbie

Strange... I get the beachball randomly... even in a blank window in Safari... Temporarily (lasts for like 5 seconds). I'm running 1.5GB RAM and a beefy machine, so it should be fine. Also, I've talked to a few others that are seeing the same thing, so at least I know it's not just me. :)

- Shawn

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The only beach balls I get are when I do something with my iDisk or the network here at school since our school's DSL network is sooooo slow. It's really nice, because I get nothing but endless beach balls on my Lombard with 10.3 installed.

18. Junk Male macrumors newbie

Yep - I get the same thing...Safari is being a pain since 10.3.1 - so much so I am even considering a return to Explorer - god forgive me!

I get random crashes, lots of beachball and regular "Safari cannot accesses this page becasue Safari does not understand it" messages - strange then that if you try the link 2 mins later it opens it straight away.

Bookmarks also take ages to be added...c'mon Apple sort it out!

19. Dave Marsh macrumors regular

Safari losing WAN connectivity?

Has anyone noticed Safari/Mail/iSync losing Internet connectivity, while Internet Explorer continues to access the net just fine? This is happening to me just about every other day. I'm just about ready to erase the volume and reinstall everything.