10.3.2 AppleMail now nonfunctional

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by RegnadKcin, Dec 18, 2003.

1. RegnadKcin macrumors newbie

I had no idea how much spam I was getting until I downloaded Eudora today.

Apple Mail was a disaster in 10.2.7/8, with 15-20+ second 'disk writes' hijacking my TiBook.

10.3/.1 has been great. But then I made the mistake -- based on only a smattering of negative comments on 10.3.2 -- to install the latest.

Now, although I can send mail, I cannot get it -- it worked about three times and now will not. I've restarted; I've rebuilt preferences. No go.

If you are as dependent on e-mail as I am, hold off on 10.3.2!

Anyone have a clue what went wrong?

TIA

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's working fine for me on the 2 machines I've updated.

What kind of account(s) are they (POP, IMAP, .Mac, etc.)? What are the particulars of your setup?

3. RegnadKcin thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing unusual. POP account with big ISP; DSL access.

Like I said, it worked for about three mail checks then quit picking up mail altogether.

No changed settings. I checked.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Interesting. You've ruled out ISP issues, too?

5. robertinsac macrumors newbie

Both my computers work fine. Try pulling your prefs and ~/Library/Mail, relaunch mail app, enter your mail settings again, then reimport your mail using the
    import function

6. RegnadKcin thread starter macrumors newbie

Rower:

Yes, I've ruled out the ISP because Eudora works fine.

I had a similar problem long ago because authenticatio was IP-related, but I've since switched to password authenticaiton for greater mobility, and this is the first time I've seen the 'send but no receive' situation since then.

I'll try the library/mail and preferences delete, thanks.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't forget the good old repair permissions while you're at it.

8. RegnadKcin thread starter macrumors newbie

I had already repaired permissions and it still wasn't working, giving me the 'doink' sound when I asked it to check mail.

Then I used the menu to select 'check mail from...' my main account, and it did.

So it's working again. i ahve no idea why it suddenly "decided" not to check my main e-mail account, but that was all it was.

I note that it seems to have forgotten how to detect junk and is back in training mode, but that's okay, since the spam-meisters have learned a bit since last go-round.

Thanks, all, for the input!

9. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Mail seems to put accounts offilne all by itself and frequently. There are some gremlins yet in the update. Check the Mailbox/Online Status from time to time.

10. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

For those who responded with no problems, how are boot times? There have been many reports about a huge slow down in boot up times...even with brand new Macs.

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yeah, I noticed that, it toggles if it can't get a connection, and puts a little lightening bolt icon next to the Inbox in the Mailbox drawer, if you click the bolt it offers you the option of going back online with the account.

Mail will just sit and "doink" at you all day unless you get the account back online.

This is definately a new feature in Panther as far as I can tell.