10.3.3 Impressions a few days in

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Makosuke, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, I've had 10.3.3 running for a few days now, and I'm starting to get a feel for what's fixed and what isn't.

It's obvious that Windows networking has had a pretty major overhaul, and is a big improvement on the network at my job. But I was more interested in some of the annoying little things on my G5 2x2 at home.

Good:

-"Slow" startup fixed; now at the login screen in something like 20 seconds. Nice.
    -UPS detector seems to see my APC XS1000 and report battery status. Haven't checked whether it'll actually shut down the computer yet, but I expect so.
    -Feels a little more responsive all around.
    -My extremely flaky Belkin USB2.0 hub (it has a tendency to loose connected devices after the computer is restarted or put to sleep, requiring the hub to be power cycled to see them again) seems to be somewhat less prone to forgetting stuff is connected. Stupid Belkin hub--my old $20 RadioShack el-generic hub never had these issues.

Bad:

-There seems to be a conflict with APC's Powerchute auto-shutdown software; while I had it installed, the computer crashed (fans all on full, no other response) twice when trying to sleep in as many days. Since uninstalling it, no problems in three days, so that seems to have been the issue. Not surprising, I suppose.
    -The glitchy icon issue still isn't fixed; I now have all url links showing as Quicktime streams, and all quicktime streams showing as the address book, for example. Might actually be worse than before the upgrade, but considering how common and annoying this is, seems like there would've been a fix in there.
    -My netstat process still freaks out after about two days of uptime for no apparent reason. This one has existed since I upgraded the G5 to 10.3, and I've seen reports from about three other people, all with 2X2 G5s with upgrade installs of 10.2-->10.3, and all with over 2GB of RAM. Can't say I'm surprised this didn't get fixed, but hope springs eternal.

And yes, I'm aware that my last problem can probably be cleared up by a reinstall, but with the number of custom Perl modules I use, I'm loathe to do that unless desperate. Oh well.

At least nothing new is broken!

How about other people? After using 10.3.3 for a week, have you noticed other things that do or don't work?

2. evil macrumors 6502

i have noticed no change at all. on either my1 ghz emac or my 867 pb

3. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

yeah, haven't noticed anything either. icon thing is getting on my nerves.

4. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Ooh, I forgot a big one: Activity Monitor is finally stable! It would crash when opening the detailed view about 2 out of 3 times before. Finally.

Say, can anybody confirm if a clean install gets rid of the icon problem? That is, if it's something to do with an aging install, I wish Apple'd slip a fix in, but I can understand if they don't. But if it's happening even with clean installs, what team is asleep at the wheel for that kind of a stupid issue to slip through? Be nice to know if I could cure it if I really wanted, too...

5. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

On my QS sometimes the screen remains black now after waking from deep-sleep. Didn't have that problem before.

Very positive is that they fixed the problem of locking up the system after deep-sleep when using IP connections behind a router. That was driving me nuts!

groovebuster

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

My clean install has the icon problem. A quick relaunch of Finder always temporarily fixes it though. I do get nonsense icons occasionally.

7. Zaty macrumors 65816

My experiences are only positive. The best thing is faster OS and apps start up.

8. MaccyMarky macrumors newbie

10.3.3 Bluetooth disaster

I upgraded to 10.3.3 a couple of days a go. All seemed ok until I noticed my Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, was showing "unavailable".
    The Bluetooth pref pane in Sys Prefs has gone, and the Sys Profiler shows no Bluetooth module present!
    No idea what to do apart from checking all permissions etc, to no avail.

I know some bluetooth problems have occurred following OS upgrades before, but can't find any solutions. Any ideas anyone? Total Panther reinstall would be a real pain.
    Also my Classic apps are now crashing at least once an hour.

Boy do I wish I hadn't been tempted by the updater. Feeling like sucker guinea pig...

15" PBG4/1.25GHz/1GB

9. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

Yeah, that happened to me yesterday. I have never experienced it before.
    Any suggestions as to how to recover? I had to do a power-off.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have the same issue; I'm also running Mac OS X 10.3.3 "Panther". I've never tried relaunching the Finder, restarting, or logging out then back in like others have suggested. The fix I use (which also works) is to rebuild the Classic desktop file (which can be done regardless of whether the Classic environment is present), then log out and back in for the change to take effect. I find it equally annoying - I've even had icons disappear completely (the name's still there, it just has no icon).

11. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

12. encro macrumors 6502

encro

My PPP Connection Menu Extra went all funny. A reboot fixed it though.

Looks like some kind of basic debug test or something...

Attached Files:

13. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i've noticed that the networking is better but i'm still having the problem that was fixed with Jaguar and now broken again in Panther which is that i can't have the Desktop snap to grid function on and put icons on the left edge of the screen, i have to turn it off and place then there manually... quite annoying.

14. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

10.3.3 is fine for me. seems a bit more stable and a bit faster. nothing great to say about it but nothing bad either..

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I've had that before, and also numbers appearing there instead of text. Happens a lot when disconnecting.

With 10.3.3 I've noticed a big improvement in Ghost Recon fluidness, Application startup is excellent (Safari and iTunes previously 3 bounces, now 1) and I've made use of the fact the "F" keys can now serve their proper function on PowerBooks. All-in-all, a good update :)

AppleMatt

16. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

10.3.3 Network ? Even with an IQ below 50 !
    Finally

Dave.

17. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I've had a few of those in the past week. My DP 1.25Ghz has seems to be buggier since the update. Minor things really, more annoyances that problems.

I did have one scare which I have no idea what caused it; I was doing some photoshop work, when I heard my fans blast on to full. I checked my temp (konfab widget) and it had going from 137 F to 67 F. I quickly saved my file and restarted. Booted up fine, ran all the usual checks and found no problems. What's up with that?

18. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Okay, this one might be my imagination:

I swear that under my normal home usage (alright, that does happen to be running iTunes, X11 Gimp, iPhoto, mail, safari, remote desktop, and a couple of terminal windows) my system has started swapping way more, I'm seeing lots of disk activity during context switches.

1.25G PB w/ 512M RAM

Watching the process memory usage, nothing seems out of whack, but I swear the disk didn't grind that much on 10.3.2

Has anybody else noticed this? Has 10.3.3 changed it's memory management?

19. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If anything, 10.3.3 should have improved the caching system Mac OS X uses to reduce accesses to the hard disk. Remember that Mail and Safari were updated in 10.3.3; other components that you use, like the Terminal, were probably also updated. This may have made a difference; again, I would expect these updates to improve the situation you're experiencing.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I haven't really noticed any real performance change in my dual 450 G4.
    Although I think that I've had my first Kernel Panic. None of the icons in the Dock would open. I booted up with the SystemWorks CD and ran Norton Disk Doctor, it found multiple Major errors. Even on the second run it found Major errors. On the third no errors found. I also booted up with Tech Tool Pro 4, no problems.

21. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Something wrong, definitely, but not a Kernel Panic--a Panic has only happened when your screen goes darker and a multilingual "You must restart" box appears in the middle. Anything else is a higher-level crash/freeze of some sort.

22. Pandakin macrumors newbie

Activity Monitor

OK folks pls help cos i really need to fix this - i do alot of 3d rendering stuff in cinema 4d and Maya 5 on my eMac - yep my eMac and it is pretty snappy- and i need the activity monitor to work so i can see the amount of resources each app is taking - since i updated to 10.3.3 it just desn't launch anymore :( - does anybodyknow i can fix this - can i reinstall the applwithout reinstalling the whole system?

23. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect corrupt preferences are to blame for this. Go into your Library in your user folder. There should be a folder called Preferences inside - open this folder. Look for a file with Activity Monitor in the name (might be all one word, like "ActivityMonitor" or "activitymonitor") and move or delete it so Activity Monitor can't find it. Relaunch Activity Monitor. If all is well, you can delete the preferences file (if you moved it) because that was the cause of the problem.

24. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I've had several crashes since I installed 10.3.3. Actually, they could've started before then, I don't remember for sure, but I've been noticing them more since then. They're not kernel panics, it just simply freezes up completely. The mouse moves and that's about it. I've tried to SSH in from another computer on our network and it just sits there waiting, no errors, just no information loading either. Any thoughts on this?

JW

25. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds to me like some process on your crashing computer is encountering errors and hogging CPU time and memory, preventing any SSH connections or most other activity. If I were you, I'd open the Console utility and look at the logs to see if you can find any hints as to what's causing the problem.