10.3.3 trouble with mounting CD-RW's...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Fireinspire, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Fireinspire macrumors newbie

does anyone have problems mounting CD-RW's with 10.3.3?

i had two CD-RW's that i burned with some mp3's while using 10.3.2. 10.3.3 was able to successfully mount these discs and recognize the data on them.

i wanted to burn a CD-RW with *.doc's to transfer to work, so i erased the disc using 10.3.3's Disc Utility. as usual, my mac doesn't recognize the disc as being mounted after i erase it. so i eject the disc and reinsert it, as i used to do with 10.3.2 (cumbersome, but the only way i could get mac to mount any erased CD-RW).

NOW, my computer never recognizes any CD-RW that has been erased with Disc Utility. WTF?

i even did a 'full' erase and it still didn't recognize the disc. being a former PC guy, i assumed that i needed to format the CD-RW after erasing it. but all the formatting options are greyed out.

any help?

2. mini4mal macrumors newbie

so sad...

that is so sad. maybe your computer is busted. but wipe away those tears, and try this first:

When you insert a blank disc, your CDs & DVDs preference setting will determine what happens next. If it is set to Ignore, then nothing happens in the Finder.

Follow these steps to change the setting:

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    2. From the View menu, choose CDs & DVDs.
    3. Choose an action other than Ignore from the first two pop-up menus. For example, you can choose Open Finder.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

3. Fireinspire thread starter macrumors newbie

very good call, m4m. thank you dearly.

i could get into an rant of why "show in finder" actually (erroneously) means "show in desktop", and "ignore disc" (which truly IGNORES the disc) has no reasonable purpose or functionality, but i won't because i am NOT a frustrated mac switcher; i am a former PC user. at least, that is what i keep telling myself.