[10.3.4 Server] Missing Sharing Services

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ryan, Jul 13, 2004.

1. ryan macrumors 6502

In System Preferences -> Sharing the only tab I have is "Services" with only "Remote Login", "Apple Remote Desktop" and "Remote Apple Events" visible. So my question is, where is the "Firewall" and "Internet" tabs? And where are all the various other services like "Windows Sharing", "FTP Access", etc.? Could these missing items be the result of a bad install? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

That is all X server has in the system preferences. Remember this is a hardcore professional OS. It has many other utilities included that manage far more complex versions of these tools.

Go to your Applications folder and Utilities fodler. YOu need NetInfo Manager, Directory Access, Network Utility, among others. Be advised, you can mess up connectivity to your machine, AND effect an entire network by misusing these tools. YOu can cause your Mac to be 'evil' and spew all sorts of useless data traffic over your subnet if you set up improperly.

For home sharing, or even small business sharing, hosting, etc. there is no reason you need Server. They are the same under the hood, yet the server offers more custom features (at the expense of user interface and ease of use).

3. jane doe macrumors 6502

Server Admin

The services you seek are in the server admin application. You don't use the sharing preferences like in the client version.

4. ryan thread starter macrumors 6502

So are you saying I should uninstall Server and install the client OS on our Xserve? :rolleyes:

5. ryan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed!

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Nope. I said that the tools you need are in your applications folder and utilities folder. If you wanted a simpler interface then run client. It DOES work on XServs.

That said, OS X server is a more complicated beats and has a learning curve unlike other Mac OS. You can still impact the network your XServe is on if you administer it incorrectly. This is less true with client, as it limits your ability to cause trouble.