10.3.5 Messed Up My Brand-Spanking New Powerbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TenderBranson, Aug 11, 2004.

1. TenderBranson macrumors member

Hey everybody. I've been lurking around this site for over a year and finally decided to buy a powerbook a week and a half ago.

I was really excited about completely switching over to the mac platform, and to do away with all the crashes and annoyances of Windows.

Unfortunately, so far, my experience has been less than stellar.

Don't get me wrong. Panther is far better than my old HP Windows 2000 computer. All the Ilife suite has been great to play with, and Garageband is especially nice for my music.

What has surprised me, though, is how much trouble OSX has given me since I got my powerbook last Friday.

Minor Problem: I got a kernel panic yesterday. I couldn't believe OSX crashed within a week of me using it. I should note here, before I continue, that I ordered and extra 512 stick of RAM from Crucial. I don't, however, believe it was the RAM's fault, because it only happened that one time. Still though, very surprising.

The bigger problem: Who here turns off their computer every night before they go to sleep? Yeah, me neither. I'm sure most of you heard of the sleep problem some of the G5's have had with the new update, but I'm afraid to say it isn't limited to them. Whenever my computer goes to sleep, it can't wake up. If I try to turn it on, the hard drive will start working, and the fans will kick in, but the screen remains black. I was so afraid the computer was dead, I almost fainted.

Has anyone here experienced any of these problems, or have any advice on how to fix anything?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have had the black screen on wake up problem on my laptop sporadically since I bought it last September, so I don't think that it is the 10.3.5 update. Unfortunately, I can't get it to glitch like that consistently enough to warrant going though the hassle of getting it fixed and being without it for probably more than a week. As for the KP, if it doesn't happen again, call it an anomaly and forget about it.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Here's some things to try:
    1. Repair disk permissions
    Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.
    Click on Macintosh HD and Repair Permissions.

2. Reset the PRAM.
    Turn off the computer, then turn it on and
    Immediately press and hold down Apple-Option-P-R
    Hold them down until you hear the SECOND chime.

If that doesn't work, try this:

3. Reset the Power Management Unit
    Turn off the computer, wait a minute, then
    Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing
    Shift-Control-Option-power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn
    (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
    Wait 5 seconds.
    Press the power button to restart the computer.

Hope one of those helps!
    Lee Tom