10.3.6 Crashed my iMac G5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jovian9, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Since I haven't been able to get help on this forum:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=96378&page=1&pp=20

(probably b/c most people do not want to read 2 pages to get to my problem)

I'm posting this here. Yesterday I updated my PB via software update to 10.3.6. All is well with my PB. Today I tried updating my iMac G5.....after the download finished it started installing and optimizing (via software update). It reached 58% and crashed. A rectangular black transparent window appeared and told me I needed to restart. It then gave me directions for powering off my iMac with the power button. So I did and restarted. When trying to start up it stays on the grey screen. At first it would have the circular loading icon on there but now that does not even show up. I've left it going for hours now. I downloaded the 10.3.6 self installer onto my PB....loaded my iMac via FW target mode and installed it onto the iMac. Still does not work. I've repaired permissions and repaired disk...still nothing.
    I always repair permissions before and after any installs. This is the first time I've had such a problem with an Apple update.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Actually I take that part back. The last security update killed iPhoto on my PB but not on my iMac G5. Forgot about it since I had yet to do anything about it.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Will it let you boot into single user mode (command-s) -- type 'reboot' to continue booting -- or safe mode, hold the shift key?

If single user mode works, follow the directions on the screen regarding fsck.

4. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I had already started an Archive/Install when I read your post.

After doing an Archive/Install my iMac booted right up. Here is what I have noticed (for all of those who may have to do this too):
    -Nearly everything is where it was.
    -iTunes did not need updated to 4.7 again (even though it was 4.6 on my iMac install cd)
    -QT 6.5.2 did need reinstalled (was 6.5.1 on my iMac install cd)
    -Java 1.4.2 update 2 needs reinstalled
    -Security update 2004-09-16 needs reinstalled
    -wireless keyboard/mouse firmware 1.1 needs reinstalled
    -Mac OSX 10.3.6 does need installed (apparently it did not finish when it crashed)
    -Most of my apps are exactly the way they were....except for Safari. I had to grab all of my prefs/files (backed up via FW target disk mode onto my PB) and put them back into place in order for Safari to be the way I had it
    -My printer was gone ( had to reinstall the Brother driver so that the iMac could read it via Rendezvous....it's hooked up to my AEBS)
    -There has been a 'Previous System' folder created on my boot drive which is 1.6GB in size
    -The pictures for my user switching are deleted (but they are still in my iPhoto library)
    -Everything seems to be running a little sluggishly (lots of beachball)

I'll post again if I notice any more quirks. Hope this helps any of you having this problem too.

5. klakka macrumors newbie

I need help too newbie

Hi guys and gals ive got the same problem just got the apple logo and the swirly loader spinning round i cant boot into safe mode but i can do the single user log on tot the command prompt i loaded 10.3.6 yesterday which is when everything went pear shaped, it started off where no program that i downloaded could be verified when it was opening it i had to click skip for it to work then i was getting problems with temporary folders (only seen it for about half a second then the mac went down) and thats it im stuck with the grey logo and the swirl of death.
    Any help much needed im totally lost
    Cheers in advance
    IAn :confused:

6. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

After a few days everything seems to be running fine. I ran System Optimizer X and now I'm not getting the beach ball very much.

One other thing I noticed: All of my screensavers that were not built into OSX are gone. Luckily I backed them up.

7. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I would recommend doing what I did. It seems to have worked out fine with a few exceptions.