10.3.6 & RealPlayer not working

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jrober, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

All,

Anyone else experience this problem. Ever since the 10.3.6 upgrade I cannot use RealPlayer. The app starts OK, I choose the radio stream I want to hear (BBC Radio 1) and then after an interminable time it says the server cannot be contacted. Before the 10.3.6 upgrade everything was fine, restarts and reinstalling real player have not helped any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks in advance.

John

P.S. I am running this on a new 12" powerbook and using the latest RealPlayer.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I strongly suspect that the cause is a broken DNS lookup function in Mac OS X 10.3.6. This has been determined to be the cause of several other issues reported by members here - hopefully Mac OS X 10.3.7 will fix it, since it is supposed to include an updated DNS lookup engine. If you're getting "document contains no data" or similar errors in your web browser, they're probably due to this same problem.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

FWIW, RealPlayer works fine for me. wrldwzrd89's theory about your problem may be correct. However, your problem is not universal.

4. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

thanks

Any ideas about how to get around this, 10.3.7 must be a bit off?

5. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

It's actually my airport express link!

Folks update on the diagnosis. I had a hunch and tested the network link directly to the powerbook bypassing the home airport network I have running.

Problem fixed, now I am very confused why would the recent airport express firmware update cause any issues with locating real player streams. All other network related things I try I have no problems with.

Thoughts?

John

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Guesses:

RealPlayer thinks your wireless connection is too slow
    RealPlayer and AirPort don't get along
    RealPlayer's preferences need to be changed when on AirPort

7. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

Wrldwzrd - thanks off home to try these out later. Used to work with airport before just the recent firmware that seems to cause the issue.

8. grobbins macrumors member

Take a look at RealPlayer 10's online help (via the Help menu), under Troubleshooting -> Network/Connectivity -> Airport wireless issues