10.3.9 breaks Safari https?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gfroyle, Apr 17, 2005.

  1. gfroyle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    #1
    Hi, I just installed 10.3.9 and have since been unable to read any "https" pages with Safari.. I just searched the Forums and there have been several other Safari issues (particularly relating to plugins like acidsearch) but I have not seen anything about this.. No problem with firefox...

    Any clues/suggestions?

    Gordon
     
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

    MisterMe

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    USA
    #2
    Things work fine on this end. Maybe you ought to examine your own setup.
     
  3. gfroyle thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    #3
    Not https the problem - PROXY is the problem

    Duly examined... and I discovered that I had a proxy set for browsing secure web sites (ie https) but not for regular ones .. So it is the PROXY setup that 10.3.9 has broken...

    Trouble is, I need to browse with the proxy set b/c I use a variety of sites for which I need to use an institutional subscription (journals, reference sites etc) which is accomplished by using the proper proxy server..
     
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #4
    Gordon, it took me a second to verify, because I had to find a proxy server to which I had access. But, I do not have this issue:

    1) I opened Safari without a proxy server, and navigated to an HTTPS website successfully.

    2) I changed my HTTPS to proxy service, and Safari asked me to keychain in to my proxy password. I was then able to successfully reach an HTTPS site using Safari and proxy.

    3) I changed my HTTP to proxy service, and verified that I was indeed proxied by going to a site that makes use of the proxy server.

    No issues on any count. Sorry.... ? Are you sure you didn't have any plugins installed before Safari was updated? They seem to have all kinds of strange effects through the upgrade. Do you have PithHelmet running?

    BTW, doesn't your institution have EZProxy implemented for this kind of thing?
     
  5. gfroyle thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    #5
    Proxy problem still

    Thanks for the useful feedback, but unfortunately I still have the proxy problem - if I turn the proxy ON, then I cannot browse to any sites whatsoever, but if I turn it off, then all browsing seems normal...

    When I have the proxy turned ON, the browser does not ask for the password, or access the Keychain, but simply sits there (with the little icon going round and round) indefinitely...
     
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #6
    Hmmm....I know you mentioned FF works on the same computer. And all of this is just de rigeur stuff, but....

    1) Did you make sure that the "requires a password" setting is still checked in Sys Prefs for your proxy server? Have you tried deleting the username and password and re-entering them? Actually, I don't know, does FF use the keychain to access a proxy server? I know that Safari does, and FF rarely makes use of the keychain, so I'm wondering if perhaps the issue lies there?

    2) Have you tried clearing the cache and cookies and all saved content?

    3) Have you tried repairing permissions, rebooting, restarting Safari?

    4) Also perhaps the page-load test window will give you useful information (It's in the debug menu, which you can get via PithHelmet or via the instructions here if you do not have it enabled).
     
  7. gfroyle thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    #7
    Not 10.3.9 after all...

    Well, it seems that I was wrong, and that at the very same instant (or within a few minutes) that I installed 10.3.9, the proxy server at work died, and sent me off on this wild goose chase... I can't recall the proxy server ever having been down before, so this was pretty unusual...

    So, I had assumed "update OS + feature X stops working" implies "change in OS caused feature X to break", whereas in fact it was just chance..

    Thanks anyway to all those who took the time to follow it up and make suggestions..

    Gordon
     

Share This Page