10.3.9 crashes when put into sleepmode

Discussion in 'macOS' started by apple-licious, May 18, 2005.

1. apple-licious macrumors newbie

I have an Ibook G4 1,2 Ghz, with 1,25 gb ddr sdram, 6ogb hd.. I recently updated to Os X 10.3.9. Sometimes when I try to select the sleep mode from the apple menu, My OS crashes completly and I my Apple tells me to restart my computer. How can I solv this very annoying problem?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Do you have any peripherals attached?

Have you repaired permissions or done any maintenance?

3. apple-licious thread starter macrumors newbie

Only a keyboard and my wacom tablet....

I don't think i repaired any permissions and they only maintenance I did to my Ibook is upgrading my ddr sdram to 1,25... :confused:

4. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

I had severe problems with my mini (not waking from sleep) after I changed the RAM from 256 to 512. When I went back to the original 256 module, the problems were gone. Now I'm using a 1024 module and it's still fine.
    Therefore my advice: go and check your RAM, swap it with some other module and see if the problem persists.

5. apple-licious thread starter macrumors newbie

the thing is that my Ibook doesn't have the problem all the time. It also wakes up fine from sleepmode. That has never been an issue. And If I close the lid it doesn't crash either. It only occasionally occurs when i select sleep from the apple menu..

I upgraded my sd ram about six months ago. I didn't have any problems until recent. Don't you guys thing I would have had the problem before if it really was my ram?

6. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

Most probably. But still, it is quite easy to take out one RAM module and let the machine run without it. It helps to find the problem.

Did you install some drivers, kernel extensions or low-level software (like system monitors or things like the Application Enhancer) recently?

7. apple-licious thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess trying to run my ibook without the extra ram module won't hurt.. :)

And I actually did install a program against carpel tunnel syndrome recently, which also monitors your mouse and keyboard activities...

8. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

I had installed "iPulse" once, which monitors all kinds of activity. That was definitely not beneficial to the overall stability of the system.

Let us know if and how you could solve your problem.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Try downloading and running AppleJack. This is my version of "take two aspirins and call me in the morning."

Really, it might help.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks for pointing this out! :) I'm surprised that I have never heard of this utility before in all this time. It sounds really interesting. I wonder how it is able to do all this stuff in single user mode? I guess it must re-mount the disk, since usually the hard drive is mounted read-only in single user.