10.3.9 Safari change - Saving images

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by supergod, Apr 18, 2005.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

Over the last month I have been getting progressively more fed up with 10.3, especially with Apples "updates". It seems every new version of the OS manages to not only slow down my 1.6ghz powermac G5, but make programs like Garageband downwright unusuable and completely screw with all sorts of things that were great in the OS.

Well, 10.3.9 continues the bloody trend, especially with Safari. Beyond the new annoying highlight changes (anyone else think this makes Safari feel more like explorer), the bookmark resets and all the other discussed problem, now Safari is uncooperative in saving images. Before, when control clicking an image, one was given the option of saving it to the HD and selecting which folder to save into, quite simple. Now, using Safari, I have noticed that the only option is to save to "downloads". This means every time I want to save a file I have to save it to my downloads and then move it into whichever folder it fits in. This seems to me very redundant. It's almost like Apple is trying to prep us up for virtual folders once they are introduced in Tiger, but you know what: I don't like being told how to organize or use my computer. I like being able to customize everything to my way of working, and so far this has worked damn well.

Pretty soon I'll be upgrading to Tiger, for all the new features of course, but my main motivation is actually the hope that stability will be improved on my system. If there is junk like this in Tiger, I think I may just be liable to reinstall 10.3 and upgrade up to 10.3.7, the last good OS.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hold down the option-button (aka alt-button), IIRC, and you get the Save as... option and not just save to default download location (which is what you want most of the time, and is simplest for most users...)

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

My favorite way to save images was always to just drag them off the page to wherever I wanted them to go...

4. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, they've simplified the browser to appeal to all the new users, without giving the option to keep the old settings which almost everyone else is used to. Isn't there a point at which simplicity is just for the sake of simplicity and serves basically no valuable purpose? I guess now every time I save an image I'll have to press an extra button: how simple is that?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, as supergod says, there is only an option in control click to save the image to the location specified in Safari preferences. "Save as..." is not an option. Similarly, alt click simply downloads to the same location. I've always either saved to the desktop or dragged to the desktop and moved the file from there to a final location, so it's not a problem for me. But I can certainly see how it would be annoying for someone.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You hold down the option/alt-key in addition to what ever way you get access the context menu in question (ctrl-click or right-click), so if you have a one-button mouse you hold down ctrl and option, then the choice in the context menu changes from "Save <image name>", directly to default download location, to
    the old "Save As..." (...if you have a two-button mouse you hold down option while right-clicking...)

I know the option/alt-click trick, and that was not what I was referring to, which should be clear from the context (no pun intended ;))

7. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Wait, they changed the highlighting in Safari? Now that you mention it, I do notice something different, but can't remember the old way now. Is it that it's blue?

I was hoping with 10.3.9 they'd fix the problem with my iBook display preferences. Everytime the screen saver activates or the screen turns off, I come back to a blueish color preference! I've done a complete HD reformat and it hasn't fixed the problem

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They failed once again to add something I would very much like: a contextual (control-click) menu choice to Copy Image Location. I can download an image, copy an image, or open an image in a new window or new tab, but I still can't save its URL in one step.

9. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

As far as the highlighting: no it hasn't changed colors.

There are a couple of differences. First, when you highlight an image and select to copy it, instead of it then being deselected, it stays highlighted until you click elsewhere.
    The other change is more hard to describe and I really do need to compare it to 10.3.8 to make sure I'm right. It just seems "different" as far as which areas of the page it highlights. I think before it was more selective in what was highlighted, whereas now, dragging the mouse around will highlight everything on the page.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Gotcha...thanks for setting me straight. You learn something new every day... ;)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is something I use all the time, too. I find it really useful for forum posting....

12. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I'll second that! I love just clicking and dragging the image to my desktop. It's SO fast and intuitive; I just wished more things like that were available in safari.

13. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Yep. This bugs me as well. I usually end up launching Firefox for this operation–about the only thing I use Firefox for nowadays. Although, the "copy link" feature on Safari's contextual menu, when ctrl-clicking on images, does okay for certain instances.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That copies the URL of the page an image links to when it is inside an anchor. It doesn't copy the URL of the image itself. I often need the URL of an image for the MacRumors Members Photo Directory, for example, so I have to open the image in another tab or window, capture the URL, close the tab or window, and find where I left off.

On the other hand, I think they finally fixed the bug where a text box in an input form scrolls to the top every time you change to another tab and back.

15. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I think before it would only highlight text, but I'm not certain.

Now it highlights text and images... and if you copy and paste into something like TextEdit, it will in fact paste both the text and images you highlighted. (unless the image is a background in the HTML code)

16. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I HATE the new highlight in Safari! It's hideous, awkward, and just bad. I miss my old Safari. :(