10.3.9 weird problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by widgetman, May 18, 2005.

1. widgetman macrumors member

For some reason, whenever there is a task that requires some sort of linking (building apps with Xcode, showing the login window, etc.), there is an error that I have never seen before and do not know how to fix. The error goes as following (this is from the loginwindow crash log):

Host Name: flatscreen-iMac.local
    Date/Time: 2005-05-18 16:04:36 -0700
    OS Version: 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
    Report Version: 2

Command: loginwindow
    Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow
    Version: ??? (???)
    PID: 581
    Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow Undefined symbols:
    AppKit undefined reference to _TSMRemoveDocumentProperty expected to be defined in HIToolbox

i cannot log into my computer because the loginwindow crashes on startup. What the hell does that error mean and how do i fix it?! Could that have to do with prebinding possibly? By the way, I first saw this happen when i repaired permissions and restarted (and the loginwindow crashed).

can someone please help?! I really dont understand why this stuff happens...

2. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

You might want to try posting this on the Apple Support forums over on apple.com.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This might have something to do with prebindings. dyld is the daemon that handles them, and it seems to be quite a bit different in Tiger, because the output of update_prebinding seems substantially different than it used to be -- not only in the text format, but also in the % of files that successfully prebind.

Try repairing your permissions again, updating prebindings immediately after, and maybe to be on the safe side, even doing one more repair permissions, and then rebooting. (The first one is to make sure that bad permissions don't prevent a prebind; the second one is just in case the prebind changes a permission, although it shouldn't).