10.3 can't read NTFS drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by friendlyghost, Oct 26, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Sep 29, 2002
    It was my understanding that 10.3 would be able to read drives formatted with NTFS, but I have an external USB 2 drive that it still sees as unformatted.

Any suggestions?
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    Re: 10.3 can't read NTFS drive

The spec sheet certainly says "Mac OS X also supports the ability to read files from devices that use the NTFS file system."

Have you tried checking the partition for errors and/or recreating the filesystem? Which OS are you using to create the NTFS partition? I understand there are some subtle differences between the versions of NTFS used by NT4, Win2k, and XP.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 29, 2002
    The original NTFS partition was created with Windows XP. My windows machine can mount the volume without any problems, but my powerbook cannot sadly.
  4. macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    are there multiple partitions? is the partition not the first partition on the hard drive? OS X has always had issues recognizing beyond the first partition when it comes to windows formatting.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 29, 2002
    it's a single partition. nothing complicated at all.

I'm wondering if apple doesn't support it through a usb interface.
  6. macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    When I plug a USB drive with an NTFS partition, I get a kernal panic and it takes 20 min for my iBook to reboot.