10.3 Install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by harveypooka, Feb 24, 2004.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Luckily I copied my version of MacOS 10.3 onto a disc when I moved house. I've lost my copy of 10.3 but have the copy, however I can't get the copied disc to boot up on my old iMac! It's an iMac 800 and should run it fine, but it doesn't. Any ideas?
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Did you ever try booting from the copied disc? If not you may not have copied the disc properly and since you no longer have the original you're pretty much done. Guess you'll have to buy a new copy of Panther.
  3. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Yeah dude, I tried using C on startup and even Sys Prefs > startup disc.

The CD is copied exactly, the name is fine and all the files are intact. Just won't boot.

Anyway to force boot up from CD?
  4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    Harvey, have you tried booting on another MAC?
    If you can at least get the CD to read on a MAC, do you think by calling Apple they could help?

>Soon to be a Panther user:D
  5. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    No joy from Apple. I need to force the bugger to start up from the disc...
  6. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Just tried booting from the disc in OS9, and comes up with an Error -2.
    "Startup disc was unable to boot with the selected startup disc Error -2"

Arse. What's that mean then?!
  7. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Re: 10.3 Install

Look. You can copy a CD and you can copy a CD so that it is bootable. At least you can copy MacOS 9 CDs either way. (I read on another forum that MacOS X CDs are copy-protected.) At any rate, if you insert these CDs in a computer that is booted from the hard disk, they will look identical to the naked eye. One can boot, but the other can't. Rather than getting all snippy with SilentPanda, you should try listening.
  8. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    woah weird. error code -2 is something ive never seen before...
    Did you drag and drop all the files from the original Panther CD to a new one or did you actually *copy* the CD, using Disk Utility/Toast/some CD burning program? There's a difference, and if you did the first, you should go and get yourself another copy of Panther.

EDIT: try booting again, insert the CD, restart computer and hold down option (like you would hold down "c"). It should give you a list of the ways you can boot up your system. If the CD isnt there (should look like a CD icon with "X" on it) then get new Panther CDs. Otherwise, try again. Maybe you're just not holding down "C" correctly, you're supposed to do it at that gray screen that pops up before you see the Apple logo on the lighter gray screen.
  9. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Re: Re: 10.3 Install

Apparently not, because I've copied my Panther CD's and I've seen tons of torrents for Panther CDs :)
  10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    For Mac OS 9 CD's to be made bootable you had to make the System Folder on it "blessed", and you could not do that just by copying the contents. Toast had (has) an option to create a temporary partition on which you could copy a System Folder, and then Toast could make that image (temp. partition) "bootable" when burnt to CD.

In Mac OS X things are very different....
    In short you must do a CD (or DVD) copy (or make an image) of an already bootable OS X CD, thus exactly duplicating it. Not just copying the contents.
    I have seen issues when a Panther CD 1 was made to an image using Disk Util, and when this image was burnt to a CD using Toast (and accepting this image as "good"), the CD was not bootable. Buring the same image to a CD using Disk Utility did make it bootable.

Mac OS X CD's are not copy protected. But making an OS X bootable CD is not easy, especially if you have no utils to help you.

If you want to make a backup of your Panther CD's, use Disk Utility to create images of these CD's, and use the same app to burn them.
    Never seen it fail.
  11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    If its an iMac 800, you should have the Restore CDs (Jaguar).

Then you can see if the Panther discs you burned work or not. If not, you should probably go download a different version :rolleyes:
  12. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    No dude - this iMac 800 is from 2002.
    It want to install 10.3 on it.
    Download what?