10.3 on a PB 233 (the "ive installed X on an old machine thread)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rock6079, Sep 24, 2004.

1. rock6079 macrumors 6502

ok, ready, set, laugh.... :D

now that you have it all out of your system, i am typing this from this G3, 233 PB .

I have almost, and i stress ALMOST , successfully installed and am using 10.3 on this computer (which btw does NOT have built in USB). Why have i u ask? becuase I need a computer that is cheap and inexpensive that i wouldnt care much to lose (this) that i can use for some typing (i also have a FP iMac G4 and a G3 ibook). It was an extremely difficult install, as i not only had to use a hack, but i had to install the OS without the backlight for the LCD on. So i put the screen on a nice angle and grabbed a flashlight so that i could faintly see what was on the screen.

After the install i ahve about 1GB left on the 5GB HD( a far stretch from the 200GB i have on my FP iMac G4), but i should b able to get that up to 3GB after I delete most of the stuff from the previous systems (10.1, 10.2).

Heres the specks for this machine.

233mhz-512k
    192 Ram ( which i think is maximum)
    5GB HD (originally 2)
    4MB Video

those are absolutely disgusting specks, yet i am more than astonishgly suprised by the way 10.3 is running. It is not slow, its a little choppy, thats all (and by not slow i dont mean its not slow if i were using photoshop and FC and 10 other applications at the same time, i mean for browsing the net, doing some typing and IM, it is suprisingly working really well). Expose works, but that too is choppy. This comp already had 9.2 on it but there is no way, and imean no way i would use 9, i cant stand that system anymore ( my dad still hasnt switched to 10 and i cant stand having to help him, it just feels foreign to me now)

so far ive only experienced two problems..

1. if the computer goes to sleep, when it wakes the backlight for the lcd will not go on, and no matter how much i play with the brightness or other options it doesnt seem to work

2. i cant access the "Network" folder, to connect to my other computer to transfer some files over as it sais i do not....wow, ok i just went to clikc it to see exactly what it had been saying, and now, all of a suddon it works, and i had not changed anything.. so scratch that..

also im having trouble logging in as root (though i think that just my problem and has nothing to do with the 233 G3)

i had fears that the ethernet port would not work but so far i have had no problems (since i do not havcea wireless card for this computer, andi dont know if one would work, i made my own 50ft ethernet cable so that i can go anywhere in my house with this lol)

well i thnk thats about it for now.

so if anyone can help with my LCD backlight problem that would be awsome thanks, and if you have any questoins ??? please ask and if you've installed on an old machine like this please share and lemme know of any tricks or problems

thanks a lot

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Doesn't Jaguar support the 233PB? I remember running it on my 333PB. Actually ran at a very usuable speed - used it for writing documents and Yahoo StatTracker for fantasy football.

I even used a wireless driver from http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/ to get my Orinoco Silver card working.

I really have no suggestions for getting Panther to work.

3. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

He installed Panther.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I know.

I was suggesting he install Jaguar instead as I have had past success on a Lombard. Perhaps not as clear as I could be, but most people hate that kind of response anyway.

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

What version of 10.3 have you installed on your PB? Just 10.3 straight-up? I tried installing 10.3.5 on an iMac 333 today and Apple SW Updater told me the specs of the machine wouldn't let me do it. I don't want to believe them. :(

6. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

That's nothing! I installed OS X on a 233 MHz Rev. B iMac with a 4 GB hard drive and a measly 96 MB of RAM.

Yes, ninety-six. That is not a typo.

7. rock6079 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes it does support jaguar... but that wasnt good enough lol. and it runs also at a very usable speed. and thanks for the link

8. rock6079 thread starter macrumors 6502

well actually the last time i left my computer i was leaving it to b updated to 10.3.5 and havnet checked it (was 10.3 before) i shall go check now

9. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I installed 10.3 on a 333mhz iMac G3, 128mb RAM at my old school. and it runs pretty decently.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Have you gone into NetInfo Manager and enabled the root user? If you haven't done that yet, Mac OS X won't let you log in as root.

11. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Amazing...

I can't say I have any suggestions pertaining to the original question, but I can say that I've installed Panther onto my new iBook, it's a blueberry, 300/160MB/3gig, and it runs just fine. I take it back and forth to school, (I'm too scared to take my other one), and it's fast enough to run Word, Safari, and even Starcraft when calculus gets too boring. I can't imagine installing Windows XP onto a PC laptop with those kind of specs... Woosah Apple! :D

12. rock6079 thread starter macrumors 6502

ur good, i knew it was not the PB's problem and was just my stupidity, but sometimes you forget the most basic stuff and think its a much bigger issue, lol

thanks