10.3 on pismo?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joetronic, Apr 1, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

I am trying to install 10.3 on a pismo running 9.1. when I click on the install Icon, it tells me to reboot, so it does and boots right back to where I started. I have tryed hold doent he C key, but it will nto boot from the CD. Is there anything I need to do the machine first? I have never installed OS X on soenthing running 9.1, so I'm not really sure hwo to go about it. Thanks in advance
    Joe

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

reboot holding the option key (alt) the select the CD, sometimes the CD drive is not initialized in time for it to boot from it.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Isn't there a firmware update you should install before installing OS X...?

(I did that before I upgraded our Pismos, but it's been a couple of years, and my long term memory is slowly fading... ;))

4. gopher macrumors 65816

5. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I select the install CD, then click the Arrow, but still comes right back to the screen for me to choose. I can onlt boot the the HD. I have tryed two different CD's. One was new out of the box, never opened. DO I need to update some firmware or something first. I even tryied 10.1, but still a no go.

I can't boot to a CD with disk utills on it either. These disks work on a different machine (iBook)

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Do you have:
    a) 10.3 recovery CDs for iBook? <-- Will not boot...
    b) 10.3 upgrade CDs? <-- Will only work from 10.2 (I think)
    c) Normal 10.3 CDs...? <-- Should work, even if they came with an iBook... I know this, I cannot tell why because it would be illeagal to do this, but it does wotk... ;)

7. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope

nope again

These are purchased full versions of 10.3. I purchased extra knowing I will be gettting more computers that need it. I cannot get it to boot form any CD. Could it be the drive?
    Again this is a PB G3 "Pismo"

8. gopher macrumors 65816

You MUST install the firmware first. Please see my post right before yours. If you don't the videochip may not work right until you do.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Any normal OS X CDs should boot fine on your Pismo, as I said I've installed OS X on two...

But you have to install the firmware update, that gopher has provided links to... then the Pismo will boot from CD1...

10. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I missed the post about the firmware, so I am updating that now. I will replay after I try that and try to run the installer again

11. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

well...I updated the firmware and still will not boot from CD, even when I hold option and choose the CD. do I need to update to 9.2.2 first?

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That is recommended, yes...

13. gopher macrumors 65816

The definition of a "Normal" X CD would mean one that is black with a white and gray X logo. It should NOT say "Upgrade" or "Update" on Disk 1. That particular CD is not bootable. The gray system specific CDs won't work either.

External optical drives also won't work unless they are Firewire and built by LaCie or Otherworld Computing and are turned on prior to the computer.

14. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I di have the "Normal CD's" Not a upgrade or update. Purchased the full version. This is also not a external drive. It cannot boot to any CD's now. Not even a OS 9 cd.

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

tiger is going to be announced like on monday why did you buy panther?, get a refund saying it wont work, you defiantly want tiger on your powerbook, tiger will feel faster than panther on any system it will run on, i ran it on my g3 ibook for a while, it will run on your powerbook fine, it supports it fine, all tiger requires is a mac with a firewire port which you have.

16. tamara6 macrumors regular

Can your pismo see any CDs? Try putting in a music CD and see if it will play it. Pismos are known for possibly having flaky CD drives. Pismos came with CD drives manufactured by two different companies. One company made flaky ones that eventually fail, the other company apparently made good ones. Mine died two or three years ago - a slow death, really. Sometimes it would sort of work, sometimes it wouldn't. Eventually it failed altogether. This may be your problem.

Do research online to determine the name of the bad CD manufacturer, and then check to see if that's who made your drive.

17. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought this copy when it first came out, I just have not used it yet.

18. gopher macrumors 65816

When no CDs will boot, that says there is a corrupted BootX file on the computer. The best thing to do is backup your data:

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

at least twice

then erase and install on the internal hard disk.

BootX might get corrupted if you let the permissions go bad. Permissions typically go bad if you try to use 9 on the same machine as X, or ask 9 to speak to the same machine as X. I've seen one person use Batchmod (a shareware) on their entire hard drive, cause their BootX file to go bad.

You can also bypass a bad BootX file by getting a LaCie Firewire CD burner and boot off of it. The computer will look at a compatible Firewire burner before it looks at the hard drive, and why booting off a Firewire CD burner works when the internal optical drive does not.

19. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

A update:

I updated machine to 9.2.2, updated firmware. Will not boot from any CD exept a OS X.1 cd. When I try to select destination drive it says "drive is dimmed becuase you do not have a earlier version of OS X installed"

Why would this matter. If it is OS X.1 then its the first version. This CD was also a purchased disk, not a upgrade or OEM disk.

Also, why would this CD boot but no other disks will. I can use the other boot Cd's to boot to any other machine. Even if I boot holding the option key, it give the option to select the disk, but then reverts back the options again. I have tried selectign the OS X.3.5 cd as the startup disk, it lets me, but then just boots to the HDD.

Thanks again for all the help
    Joe

20. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

also, here is the DVD-ROM drive specs

Vendor: Matshita
    Rev: C113
    Driver Version: 1.4.7

21. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

okay, heres a thinker. I could boot form a OS X.2 disk, but it now sits at a blank installer window, with the umbrella spinng anway. It has been doing this for a good half hour now. Could it just be my lack of memory. I have 128 installed in this laptop.

22. wide macrumors 6502a

i think you could also format your drive of 9.1 and then just install OS X

23. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

do the following recommendation (some already listed):
    -do software update in 9.X
    -update to 9.2.2 if you are going to use any classic apps
    -update all firmware listed above
    -insert 10.3 disks and install

should work fine, i've got it on my pismo 400 works fine.

24. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

all done. I cannot boot form the 10.3 disks. I can however boot from some 10.2 disks. I am tryign to install 10.2 now, then try to upgrade to 10.3 after 10.2 is installed. now this install is crawling. Took 35 mins to get to language selection screen, then anouther 20 mins to get to "welcome to the MAC OS X Installer" screen. Not been sitting at that screen for a good 30 mins. Umbrulla just spinning away, at lease it booted to the CD's

By the way, the 10.3 disk did boot on any other machine I tryied it on.

I also tryed booting to the 10.3 disks from a blank HDD formated to MAC OS extended. Didn't work, so I installed 9.2.2 again, updated all firmware and now trying to install form the 10.2 disks. I hope this is just my memory, but these cd's installed alot faster on a iMac 333 with less memeory.

25. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

well....got tierd of waiting for the other install so...I am installing OS 10.0. Install is flying like it should. Will try to upgrade to one of the newer ones tomorrow. My question is:

Should I install each individual update 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 or just jump right to 10.3. Normaly I would go right to 10.3, but since I am having such a mess with this computer, and I have all the disks do you think this would be a better/safer bet?

Thanks