Discussion in 'macOS' started by PowermacG5, May 16, 2005.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

2. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Nope normal here... (iMac G5 - 1.25GB RAM)

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

yes, right after installing it took an extra couple mins to boot up... thats normal after an update. It should be fine if restart again

4. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

3 macs updated this morning, 2 PowerBooks and 1 G5 PowerMac and they all took a little longer to start up but only the one time after the update.

I was more surprised that the permissions did not need repairing afterwards.

I downloaded the update, did the install, and rebooted, and it still happened before the PC booted up Windows 2000 :)

5. lostprophet macrumors newbie

same here, but no other problem is still running fine

6. gamestriker macrumors regular

A slightly slower startup is normal after a version update. It should only happen the first time you startup after you install it. It happened to me with Panther when I went from .7 to .8 and .8 to .9.

7. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

new bug

just a heads up here for users of transparent dock. the latest version 2.3.1 works in 10.4 but not in 10.4.1, they are working on an update however. i will post it if i see it come up soon. i want my tranparent dock back!!!

8. Sogo macrumors 6502

Yea, i realized that after i updated...sadness...After all this time i get transperent dock back, and now its broken...sadness again...

9. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

:( I didn't even know it was back. I just assumed that it was gone forever. :eek: Shame on me.

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Noticed a speed-up in normal use after 10.4.1
    G3 500 PB. Gotta love it!

11. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

A 3rd party app does not work with the newer OS and that's a bug? :p

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Unsanity Clear Dock is still working fine after the 10.4.1 update on my system.

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, won't some security updates also slow down the first boot after, if they change something that loads at startup?

The reason 2nd and subsequent boots are faster is because OSX caches a bunch of stuff on the first startup when something has changed (OS upgrade), leading to much faster restarts after that.

I remeber this because there was a 10.x.x version somewhere along the line (I think it was in Jaguar) that accidentally turned the caching off, so all restarts were very slow unless you manually turned it back on.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I used Clear Dock under Panther and my dock is still transparent after an A&I Tiger install. Clear Dock (or should I say APE manager) is gone, but the dock is unaffected... :D

As for 10.4.1, apart from a mailbundle issue I've not had any problems, and the speed, both on start up and in use, is just fine...

15. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

Transparent Dock is buggy. It does some funky things even when it does work.

16. Sogo macrumors 6502

How so? It seems to work for me. If there are some funky stuff, i may have ignored it. Please, do tell.

17. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I *think* the new version is ok. But the last version on my iMac was doing some weird things. Granted I do not know if it was my iMac (I hope not) but I highly doubt it. Anyway when I would open an app and then close it there would be a spec pixel i call it left under the icon. Its hard to explain w/o showing you. But it would always leave on tiny pixel stuck until you move the cursor over the app and it would dissappear.

This could have been my fault but i did not uninstall Transparent Dock before upgrading and well, my dock does some funky things now. It flickers. When you mouse over an app sometimes the icon flickers when magnification is set to maximum....Again no idea if this is my iMac or the hack.

Tonight i'll download the latest version as everyone seems to be happy with it now.

18. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Like previously posted my initial 1.4.1 startup was slow but for some reason it took four or five startups until it finally got back tdown to my "Panther" quality startup, or the fastest I had experienced. One thing I did that might of help and that I just remembered to do is to wipe the extra localizations using DeLocalizer, and I got 2 GB back.