10.4.2 and fans on iBook/G4/800

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mkrishnan, Aug 11, 2005.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Has anyone else noticed that 10.4.2 gives much more fan activity and heat production for them than previous versions of Tiger and Panther? I've been noticing my fans running a lot more than they ever used to. On the flipside, 10.4.2 is the first time Tiger has been really stable for me.

Here are some details:
    - My power settings call for Automatic processor performance on wall plug and Reduced on battery. The issue primarily happens on wall plug.

- I have tried reducing the number of widgets I have running, and also got rid of Dasher, which seems to provoke more mental activity on the part of widgets and make them consume more resources, somehow....

- I get the fan running in the following circumstance, alongside others, which surprises me in particular: Mail and Safari running minimized, Adium running open (and logged in, but no chat sessions), and iTunes playing a playlist of 128 AACs. I plugged the computer into the stereo via line out, and played a playlist, and I came back to the computer and noticed the fan was running. I don't believe the fan would have run under this circumstance in the past.

- Overall, my fan time is low -- maybe <5-10% of active computer usage time. But it was <1% before -- I hardly ever used to get the fan running.

Any similar observations? Any fixes? :eek:

Thanks! :)

2. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

This seems to happen with some updates one gives more fan speed and the next one gives dead silence :confused:

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ummmm... I know you are but what am I? :p

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I hit the button to earily.......sorry :eek:

5. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL...gotcha! :eek: I know I've heard other people make these complaints before. The weird thing... is that I don't have constant fan action. It's still a small % of the time. Which I guess is a good thing, but it makes me unsure of whether or not there's a "bug." Actually, though, getting rid of Dasher does seem to have helped. I like that program, but it also seemed to screw up the computer falling asleep when inactive (but not when I close the lid).

I guess I can hold off until 10.4.3 and see what happens.

It is weird, though, no? How different people have such different experiences with the dot upgrades? I remember 10.3.7, I think, was terrible for me. And then 10.3.8 was beautiful, and so was 10.3.9. But then other people had the opposite experience....