Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Think Secret is reporting that so many bugs have been fixed--over 300--that sources can't even list them all. Looks like every part of Tiger is receiving some polish.

I, for one, am most pleased about this news. The bugs in Tiger are simply unacceptable from a company like Apple. (And noobs, please spare us the, 'I don't have any problems with Tiger except for...' posts.

Looks like it will be another month or so before the release. I hope Apple bangs out another 100-200 bugs before we see 10.4.3. Then I think Tiger will FINALLY be commercial quality.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I don't have any problems with Tiger except for...I'm using 10.3.9 :p
Bring the 10.4.3 and I'll update.
TBH, I want to upgrade but had a big investment in the last time and not too muchtime to backup things and do a clean install as always.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Hmm, so anyone who doesn't have trouble with Tiger is automatically a n00b? :p I wouldn't consider myself a n00b...

But, uhh, anyway, bring on the update.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
BWhaler said:
Think Secret is reporting that so many bugs have been fixed--over 300--that sources can't even list them all. Looks like every part of Tiger is receiving some polish.

300+ bugs fixed......that is what I call an updated! :eek:

Granted my problems with Mac OS X 10.4.2 have fortunately been a big 0, still I always look forward to an update. :)

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
i guess i'm not a noob then...

as much as i love tiger, i've got bugs. i've got quite a few of em...

hopefully 10.4.3 will ease my pain and correct a few of these glitches i have.

Jun 24, 2004
i will always have problems with software. anyone that doesn''t must have very low expectations.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Got to agree with BWhaler… anyone who claims they've had no problems with Tiger clearly hasn't been paying attention. IMHO etc.

10.4.2 was a pretty huge update, but 10.4.3, 300 bugfixes? :eek: That's more bugs fixed than Apple's claimed number of "new" features in Tiger. For me, those figures say everything about the current state of Tiger. 10.4.2 is a lot better than 10.4 and 10.4.1, but it's still not quite there.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
The only thing I can find wrong with Tiger at the moment is that I can't get multi-video to work with iChat. None of my families computers (a dual 2.0 G5, a dual 1.8 G5, my iMac G5) are able to initiate a multi-video chat apparently. It gives us all the same message. It wouldn't even allow us to do it on the network in our house, so it shouldn't be a connection issue. They obviously changed something from 10.4 to 10.4.1/10.4.2.

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
Can I bypass update 2005-007>

I just read about the OSX Tiger upcoming update addressing more than 300+ issues with the current version of Tiger, can I bypass the 2005-007
update and wait the month for the big update?
My iMac os running well despite a few bumps in the road...!
R

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I wonder if it fixes the USB crash that's plagued a number of us since day one? I recently got a tip from another MR member that it might be due to certain USB hubs. Since I just installed a new USB2 card with 4 extra ports, I took my two hubs out of the loop and have been up and running 10.4.2 for 2 days, 14:25 now. That's approaching a full day longer than any previous attempt to run Tiger. Maybe still a bit too early to celebrate, but my fingers are crossed... ;)

Both hubs worked great in Panther and Jaguar, so it's definitely still a Tiger bug even if I'm finally able to work around it. And Apple definitely needs to fix it for everyone who may not have tried this or really needs their hubs.

I already sent in a bug report that they marked as duplicate, but if I get some time, I may experiment and see if I can determine which hub was the problem. If I can give them the exact brand and model of a problematic hub, maybe that'll help make sure a fix is in 10.4.3. Who knows?

In any case, bring it on! :D

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
macdon401 said:
I just read about the OSX Tiger upcoming update addressing more than 300+ issues with the current version of Tiger, can I bypass the 2005-007
update and wait the month for the big update?
My iMac os running well despite a few bumps in the road...!
R

2005-007 v1.1 works fine! You shouldn't need to leave it out anyway! But I should imagine it'd be in the 10.4.3 update.

I do hope this is the update it should be!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Applespider said:
I think BWhaler means that he's already heard from all the MR regulars who don't have any problems so there's no point in any newbies also letting know that they're OK too.

Also, whether he means it or not, I think there are still people on MR who believe that, and act as if, because their computer is not buggy or does not have KPs, that anyone whose computer does either installed software they should not have, or is incompetent or evil. That's just egocentric immanent justice thinking.... And I don't think that's fair, considering how many bugs Apple admits to fixing with each dot release.

My system is now quite stable, except for one major issue (that I get KPs if I allow BT devices to wake my iBook and accidentally click my mouse while it is closed, which was not an issue in Panther) and one minor issue (increased fan activity). But I neither think that I was an idiot before nor evil. I didn't change anything, except upgrade to 10.4.2. I'm happy that it's stable now, but it makes me believe other people when they say they had problems.

And likewise... while there were clearly more issues with upgrade installs and archive installs, the expectation that it is reasonable that anyone's computer will be highly unstable if they don't reformat their hard drive on install is not a reasonable one to hold Apple to. It isn't even a reasonable expectation to hold Microsoft to.

Anyway, </rant> ... I'm sorry. :( But if that's what Brent is getting at, I'm all with him. If he's not, then I'm all with me. :D

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
BWhaler, I am a complete "noob", so I'll spare you the details of how Tiger really hasn't given me any problems, but I am just posting to say that ever since I got my Mac, I have been incredibly pleased with the quality of Apple as a company. From the consistant Software Updates to the attention to detail of the current software we use while waiting for the updates, everything seems to be top-notch.

If 300+ bugs are fixed in Tiger (a nearly flawless OS in many respects) just imagine how many bugs could be fixed in any given version of Windows. Wait.. no don't try to imagine that, you might start bleeding from the ears... :D

Anyways, I look forward to seeing what changes take place with 10.4.3.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
mkrishnan said:
...My system is now quite stable, except for one major issue (that I get KPs if I allow BT devices to wake my iBook and accidentally click my mouse while it is closed, which was not an issue in Panther) and one minor issue (increased fan activity)...
Ditto on that with my iMac - I mean, Firefox + Thunderbird = fans turning on to moderate speed? They've clicked on with single apps too... It will be interesting to see if/how this changes with 10.4.3, especially since it looks like folks with PMs/iMacs have been dealing with various changes to their fan/blower speeds and activations at every OS update since Panther.

I've also noticed a steady and slow improvement with Tiger over the last two upgrades, though I confess it's sometimes hard to diagnose things as an OS issue or a 3rd party software vendor issue.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Wow, 300 updates. Just 300 ways for things to go wrong. The update will be released and people will start complaining about "this" not working and "that" is broken. Every system is different and have their own quarks. I work for the residential network for my university. Every computer is screwed up in its own way.

Personally, I don't have any big issues to report on for Tiger. The few issues I have had are been with some websites in Safari; of course I have been able to crash FireFox, and IE on both Mac and PC. I also have and issue with adding people to iChat causing them to appear offline. I did have one Kernel Panic since installing Tiger and that was when I closed XLink. Not had one since.
I think I worst experience was after update 10.3.7. I had 3 kernel panics in one week and programs would not open. I ended up reinstalling the update from the combined update. After that everything was much more stable.

Of course I am also a pretty passive person when it comes to computer problems. Either I fix the problem or i deal with it. So take my statements for whatever worth they are to you.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
FoxyKaye said:
Ditto on that with my iMac - I mean, Firefox + Thunderbird = fans turning on to moderate speed? They've clicked on with single apps too... It will be interesting to see if/how this changes with 10.4.3, especially since it looks like folks with PMs/iMacs have been dealing with various changes to their fan/blower speeds and activations at every OS update since Panther.

Yeah... there seems to be some sort of "hidden variable." I seem to remember some people complaining about this issue with almost every dot upgrade since I got a Mac (I think I started at 10.3.4). And while there were times when lots of users with a particular Mac had the issue, it seems like the issue affects many different Mac models at one time or another, and usually does not effect every copy of any certain model. I don't know what the hidden variable is, but for some people, the current dot release makes their fans blow like crazy, and the next dot release makes it mysteriously go away, and then another person with the same Mac will have the opposite experience, having never had the issue until the latter dot upgrade that solved it for the other person. :confused:

All in all, I'm happy. But if Tiger has bugs, Tiger has bugs. Whether or not Windows has bugs is neither here nor there. Apple is responsible for Tiger and not XP. :)

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Wow... Lots of good stuff. As long as it doesn't break anything (like 10.4.1 did - it made a mess on my G4. 10.4.2 fixed most of the stuff 4.1 broke), I'm happy.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Even though I have no real issues, I'm looking forward to the 10.4.3...cause well it's an update!

I always say I'm going to wait a few days and let others be the guinea pigs but I already know I'm going to cave in after a couple of hours :p

(Currently standing at 99.3MB :eek: I'm glad I'm not a dial up user!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.