10.4.3 screws up Toast 7!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brigade, Nov 3, 2005.

1. brigade macrumors newbie

so i updated to 10.4.3 via Software Update, and Toast won't work! i go to open it, and i get the spinning beach ball, then nothing. i try to force quit and that doesnt do anything either. my only option is to log out and then log back in for it to successfully quit. i've repaired permissions and rebooted, and that did nothing. can anybody help me out?

2. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Toast is working fine on my 10.4.3 system, so it couldn't have been the update that did it. Have you installed anything else recently? Sometimes bad fonts screw up programs...

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

4. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Toast is working fine for me, as well. I'm on 10.4.3.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

6. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

It's sweet for me on my PowerBook. I just burned a DVD and a few CDs and everything is fine ;)

7. brigade thread starter macrumors newbie

it just stopped working right after the update. i havent installed anything recently, but this is weird. when i open Disk Utility, and Verify my HD, i get this message

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/_brigade_/Picture1.png

i ran DiskWarrior (revision 38, works with Tiger) before verifying the disc, because i thought this would fix Toast, but it didnt. i deleted toast entirely from my computer, as well as preference files and any other files affiliated with Toast, and that didnt do squat. im beginning to think that my only option right now is to re-install Tiger.

can anyone offer me any suggetions?

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

first of all, when you try to verify your disk with disk utility, do not press anything! Leave it until it finished its work. That error you mentioned, I saw this too when I cancelled the operation before it was completed.

Have you tried reinstalling toast?
    Have you updated prebindings?

If all else fails, download the 10.4.3 Combo update and install it over your existing 10.4.3 update. This will probably fix your problem, as it has for me, when I did the update from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2. This also happens to a lot of people. Many have problem with the delta updates. So, they download aftewards the combo update and they are just fine.

NOTE: Do repair permissions after the update. You will see that it will find a lot of permissions that need fixing.

Let us know how it goes after these... I stronlgy recommend the combo update.

9. brigade thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't press anything! I hit Verify Disk, and then i just got that message instantaneously. i tried downloading the combo update, but it wouldnt let me select a drive to install it on. what should i do??? ive tried reinstalling toast, and no success. what does it mean to update the prebindings?

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Toast 7.01 working fine for me here as well.

Do try to repair permissions, and if you can, boot off another volume or the Tiger CD and do a Verify/Repair of your main HD.

11. brigade thread starter macrumors newbie

well I managed to get toast 6 from a friend, and by god it worked! i guess the versions i have got corrupted somehow, so i will work on trying to get a new version of toast 7. i booted from the Tiger install DVD and repaired the HD, but it said no repairs were necessary.

side note: one of my USB ports on my iMac wasnt responding, but then i did the HD repair (even though it did nothing) and the USB port started to work! whoo!!

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Toast 7 works fine for me as well, just like everyone else it seems except you. About these "versions" you have - where did you get them - from Roxio/Sonic? ...oh yeah!

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

How would a CD of Toast 7 become corrupted? How were you storing it? If the disc was corrupted, Roxio would probably send you a new one. Did you contact their customer support?

And how hard is it to "try and get a new version" ?!? All that is required is the same process i how you acquired Toast in the first place - buy purchasing a legal copy through Roxio. :confused:

Oh, unless of course you stole the software and illegally pirated it without paying for it. If that is the case than I have no respect for thieves and could care less about any troubles you encountered. Being that you're a responsible, ethical individual, I am sure this is not the case though. :cool:

14. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Updating prebindings is concerning your OS maintenance. Download System Optimizer X to do that.

Anyway, the point is that there is something wrong with your system. You said that the combo update cannot be done because it doesn't let you select a hard drive. That shouldn't be happening.

I recommend running maintenance applications, or even a system Reinstall. I may seem too serious about it, but you should do that just in case that there are problems afterwards...

Just for the record... I use Toast 7.0.1 and is working flawlessly for me. Lastly... I hope your copy of Toast is legal ( ;) )

15. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Maybe s/he purchased a Toast 7 "electronic download" from Roxio/Sonic and got that messed up (probably by storing it only on a hard drive and not on a CD/DVD)?! Roxio provides the electronic download option too (apart from the physical media version). :)

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Very true, perhaps this was the case... still, it's odd it would become corrupt either way...