10.4.3 sucks power - disk utility broke?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iriejedi, Nov 1, 2005.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Having just upgraded to 10.4.3 - I found my Marine aquarium screen saver working at 3 FPS down from an average of 405 FPS - checking the activity monitor system preferences was hogging 90+% of the power of my dual 2.5. Quitting ALL widgets (about 7) and restarting got me back to 333 FPS - still a 20% decrease in performance.

Opening windows also seemed 'strained'

I ran disk repairs and there were about 20 items 'repaired' - runing it again (and again) the same 20 keep getting repaired. They all seem to focus on the preference/widget arena.

Anyone else a little less then thrilled with the upgrade?

Any easy way to get 10.4.2 back?

Have a great day!

Irie

2. 50thVert macrumors regular

I have the same problems...it repairs the same 35 things over and over again. And it says i need to repair my startup disk, but then fails at doing so....
    :mad:

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Sounds like there was a problem before the update and you should have repaired permissions before installing the patch.

Try this:
    Boot from the install disk. There is a disk utility in there. Use it to repair permissions.

EDIT: You must use a Tiger install disk or you can really f things up.

4. 50thVert macrumors regular

Did that, with a Tiger disk, to no avail. How do you remove 10.4.3?

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You restore your Mac with the backup you probably didn't make. There is no easy way to do it. Reinstall or recover from a backup are the only two options.

6. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Ditto here - Did the usual maintenance stuff before upgrading to 10.4.3, now I get a big old list of items under "Repair Permissions". The list I'm getting also seems focused on Widgets (Jeebus can't we just kill the damn things), but each line is prefaced by "We are using special permissions for..." so I haven't been too concerned yet, since Apple seems to routinely use special permissions.

However, based on your post, I will re-examine my system for performance hogging and other weird stuff...

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Every person I know who has installed .3 has this happening in disk utility, I repaired permissions before the update and no matter what I do I can't repair the permissions on some stuff - this is on 3 seperate Macs, and it is exactly the same files on all 3. Oh well Apple will release a fix soon.

8. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    That's a little comforting - It has been admittedly weird. Gods, I hope 10.4.3 doesn't turn into a 10.2.7 nightmare. IIRC, this problem has cropped up before with the Disk Utility not performing correctly after some sort of update. Let's hope this is even on Apple's radar screen to fix, what with the iPods and all...

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Disk Utility went all weird on me after updating to 4.3 too. Other than that, performance seems to be fine for me.

10. frenetic macrumors regular

Ok, I have mentioned this before: whenever dsku says something like "we are using special permissions" there is nothing wrong with the permissions... it just says " we are using special permissions" but does not change them. In case something is wrong with the permissions of a file it will say something like "permissions are xrrw, they should be xxddrw" and then it actually changes them. So from now on you will see the special permissions message every time you check the permissions.

Nothing to worry about, in other words.

11. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna do an Archive and Install, my calculator it useless now as the percentage function is IMO wrong.

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Thank you for pointing this out--this may look odd, but it does NOT indicate an actual issue.

In fact, if memory serves, it's worked this way since at least 10.2, there just weren't as many things with special permissions so it didn't look exciting. Apple should probably change the wording on this (or just supress the messages entirely) to prevent people from panicking every time they see a bunch of stuff scroll by.

And in my case, performance is fine. Actually, everything is fine except for some auto-sleep problems which I think were there before the update anyway. So far, pretty smooth.

Just a question, alexprice: Is the percentage function on the Calculator important enough to be worth downgrading to 10.4.2? The new behavior is documented, and is more standard for scientific calculators than the old. Maybe finding an alternate calculator app that better suits your needs would save you some time and hassle over a reinstall?

13. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

You should not repair permissions from your Tiger install disks. Permissions are repaired based upon a bill of materials. The BOM for items installed since the earlier version of Tiger contained on your install disk will be incorrect. You should run the Disk Utility program from your start up disk. Check out this thread for more information.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

10.2.7 was only shipped on G5s and PowerBooks, never made available for download. Of course, my memory escapes me, but it was either 10.2.6 or 10.2.8 that had the problem I assume you're alluding to (lack of ethernet drivers for some G4s?)