Discussion in 'macOS' started by rye9, Oct 21, 2005.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Based on what? Apple have do not announce target dates for point releases. It'll be done when it's done!

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

based on intuition :p

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think they have been pretty busy the last few weeks ;). I'm sure the update is coming in a month or so.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You're right. Apple initially wanted to have it released in early September. Then about halfway through September, a new build was released to developers with many more bugs identified. It brought the total number of bugs to over 500 that Apple was trying to fix with the update.

The target date was moved back to the first half of this month, with the last build released to developers a little over 2 weeks ago with 6 remaining issues that had to be fixed before the final release.

I was expecting it this past week, but I think it got pushed back because of the hardware updates. My guess is that we see it this week (Oct 24-28) or the next (Oct 31-Nov 4) at the very latest.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hey, whenever it gets here, it will be fixing a lot of things. I hope that people will still be cautious about applying it. Those who can't live without their machine should wait.

I'm extremely hopeful that it will improve the stuttering performance I've seen. It's not that I'm displeased with Tiger but I've never seen Mac OS X perform inconsistently like this. When it's good, it's very very good but when it's bad, I need to take a break and let it do its own thing.

7. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

When I was having coffee at Starbucks with Steve the other day he made no mention of it to me so I assume it's not too soon. :p

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I didn't know that Starbucks was serving Irish Coffee. :p

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Meh, just wait for the superfluous Apple special media event. :p

10. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I just hope whenever it does come out it fixes a couple of MY stability problems(Safari, etc.) And I still wish they'd make Dashboard less ram hungry.

11. fklehman macrumors regular

fklehman

There's another thread on this elsewhere (on 8F28)... among other things, Apple is having huge problems with USB 2.0 that still aren't resolved. There are 1.8 SP G5s that have been sitting at service centers for a month or more b/c Tiger broke them and 10.4.3 is going to "fix" them. 10.4.3 is shaping up to be the biggest bug fix in Apple's history, and there are still lots of bugs left to squash apparently. I'm not having any huge problems with Tiger at this point, but I don't want to have any either--so I would rather Apple took the extra time to get it right. As far as timeframe, a couple people in allegedly knowledgeable places said next week on the other thread, but take that with a grain of salt. No one really knows, all we know is that a lot of people NEED that update right away but I'm sure nobody wants Apple to put out any more system updates before they're ready for primetime. We've already seen the consequences of that.

12. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Guys, does anybody know if Quartz 2D Extreme will be enabled, and if the video card drivers will be updated?

13. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

14. joelypolly macrumors 6502

Anyday now

ThinkSecret says anyday now so i guess its gota be sometime soon hopefully with in a week... but with apple who knows..

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

LOL :D

Maybe next tuesday. ;)

16. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Please fix Spotlight Apple!!! I haven't yet to do a simple search since installing Tiger, without getting a spinning ball for 10 secs.

But if they need more time to get things right, let them have it - rushing things means more bugs. So i think the more we wait the better the update will be. Remember that Apple wants the update out more than you do, cause they have tons of 1.8GHz G5's sitting around and doing nothing because they are alergic to the current Tiger.

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Your 1.8GHz G5 has problems with spotlight?

I have a 1.6GHz iMac G5 running 10.4.2 and a 800MHz iMac G4 running 10.4.1 and spotlight works without any spinning beach balls.

Maybe its just a random quirk?

18. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

It would make sense if i had an 1.8 but i used that to mention that Apple wants those fixed asap because they had serious issues with customers using Tiger. I use a dual 2.0 GHz G5 with 2.5GB RAM so its not processor/speed related. Either is a bug because it seems to happen to many users, or my HD is failing! So this update is important to me.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Okay, sorry for the confusion. It has to be a bug (or...*gulp*....problem with your HDD). There is no possible way that a 2GHz DP Power Mac G5 should have problems with using Spotlight.

Okay Apple, time to release Mac OS 10.4.3 now! :)

20. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

On the other hand now that am thinking it, installing an update as large as this on a possibly damaged hard drive is not such a good idea either! :(. Although it doesn't give me any problems with any other reading/writing processes and DiskUtility says its fine, the Spotlight thing might be a symptom - I can hear the disk stressing itself when doing the search.
    Am getting paranoid about this so i better do a backup ;)

21. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Brilliant! :p

22. louis_sx macrumors regular

This is one part of the Mac culture that I haven't understood. I can understand that in the early days of OS X, new point releases did MAJOR things like add support for new (old) hardware and make do a ton to speed things up. But nowadays, with my Mac hardware, things are fast, stable, and problem free that from my narrow POV, I don't know why people get so excited except for the people that have discovered show-stopping issues.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Even during Panther, minor releases were granting major changes to functionality, especially with 3D performance. I've had a few odd things happening and I'd like to put those behind me and worry about projects, not niggling little problems that cause headaches. It's odd because the computer will be moving along well and suddenly just slow way down and then, it will stutter for 15 minutes or so. I'm certain it's to do with their ongoing experiment with Virtual Memory techniques but it would be nice to have things as smooth as 10.2.8 in that regard.