10.4.6 and better battery life?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by frenetic, Apr 5, 2006.

1. frenetic macrumors regular

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether I was the only one who is experiencing better battery life with 10.4.6. My powerbook is two years old and had a battery life of about 2 hours on a full charge. Now with 10.4.6 it estimates 2 hours 45 minutes. I am letting it run down now at the moment but the estimate seems to be exact... If this is true this is a great present from apple!

2. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

That would definitely be very cool, and I'll be checking for it on my iBook, but in my experience software does not have such a drastic effect on hardware, unless it's something that benefits from optimising... and the powerPC-architecture must have been optimised to their limits by now. But again, it would be cool if you're right.

3. Togglehead macrumors 6502

software might just be better are decyphering the hardware's signals....

4. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

Well, my pb went to sleep and it was indeed 2 hours 40 minutes ... I don't understand this where this comes from, especially since nobody else seems to have similar experiences.

5. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

It's defnitely possible... some updates have increased my battery's capacity buy about 20%.

6. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I have also noticed a small gain in battery life and battery charging power. about 2 h 40 mins is what i remember my pb telling me last night. before it was 2h 25.

7. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

OK guys and gals, just to reconfirm that indeed my powerbook has extra battery life. Today I let it my battery go down twice and it was more or less 2h40 every time... not bad for a two year old powerbook I say. Still it is bizarre that nobody else is reporting this.

8. dr_lha macrumors 68000

You know, last night I noticed that my PB got about 4 1/2 hours instead of the usual 4, so maybe you're on to something.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have not used my iBook G4 very much since I updated to 10.4.6, but better battery life would be great (not that I can complain, I get ~5 hours of usage as it is already). :)

10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Could be a firmware tweak

EDIT: Or, it could actually be improved device communication. I know for instance the temperature monitors that I had on my G4 system would read under 10.2.8, but as soon as I upgraded to Tiger the OS stopped taking their input. I read a tech article that said that because they were so inaccurate, the OS just started ignoring them (in non-technical jargon) So, they might have refined the battery meter or something.