10.4.6 kills SE k700i iSync abilities

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheMac19, Apr 4, 2006.

1. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Decided to start a new thread rather than piggyback any more on the general 10.4.6 thread.

Many, many people are reporting that support for the k700i is crippled with the 10.4.6 update to iSync. As yet, I haven't heard anyone who has a k700i working properly after the update. Here's what I experience:

I'm using a 15" 1.5ghz powerbook with a SonyEricsson k700i. I can browse the device and get files fine, and i can use salling clicker without problems, but when I try to use iSync, it stopped and reports errors before it's done.

The phone reports: "session failed. Communication interrupted."

iSync reports: " [K700i] There was an error getting data from the phone. The synchronization may have been cancelled on the phone.
    Device "K700i" synchronization failed"

And the iSync Log reads:
    Tuesday 4 April 2006 1:24:15 pm IST
    1:24:20 pm Connecting to K700i
    1:24:20 pm Device "K700i" connected
    1:24:20 pm Receiving changes from "K700i".
    1:24:21 pm "K700i" finished receiving changes
    1:24:21 pm "K700i" Processing changes...
    1:24:21 pm "K700i" engine processing complete
    1:24:21 pm Applying changes to "K700i"
    1:24:21 pm Error [K700i] There was an error getting data from the phone. The synchronization may have been cancelled on the phone.
    1:24:21 pm Error Device "K700i" synchronization failed
    Error iSync Log created Tuesday 4 April 2006 1:24:48 pm IST

And yes, I did follow the instructions from Apple's iSync updating page to the letter. I've tried just about everything... removing the phone and adding it again, resetting, turning everything off and on again, etc. basically every option iSync had to offer. I searched through iSync's help files and SE's website to no avail. I'm submitted a support note to Apple, and found significant discussion on the support forums as well:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2061503#2061503

If anyone here has similar experiences, or a working k700i, please report! Or if you've discovered the fix...

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Like I said, my first sycn with my Treo should be craptacular. Good thing all i use it for is mileage. :D

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you actually tried any of the suggestions from the Apple Support discussions?

Installing 10.4.6 again from the combo installer?

Trying to sync only contacts or only calendars (or only one calendar, even an empty one) to see what actually causes the error?

4. TheMac19 thread starter macrumors regular

TheMac19

yup, i've tried syncing only Contacts, only calendars, only one calendar, etc. with no success. I've been downloading the combo update, so we'll see how that goes when it finishes.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, if that doesn't help it might be time to administer some serious yelling at Apple's iSync feedback... ;)

6. TheMac19 thread starter macrumors regular

TheMac19

Well, post combo-update iSync seems to be trying a bit harder, but still no dice. It gets as far as trying to sync, but dies after maybe 2 seconds. this happens regardless of whether I'm syncing Calendars, Contacts or both.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Then, if you've also checked out the Carriage Return problem I suggested in the 10.4.6-thread (which I guess you have if you tried syncing just one newly made, empty calendar), then it's time to use the form mentioned above... and no need to be (too) civil about it... ;) :D

8. TheMac19 thread starter macrumors regular

TheMac19

Yuppers, and I've already left my iSync feedback, so I suppose I'll just wait it out at this point and see if any other solutions come along. Luckily I usually only sync a couple times a week, and I don't live and die by my phone, so it's not a real big deal to me yet. Especially since Salling Clicker still works fine...

The powerbook's keyboard backlight going missing post update is another issue, but I'll hope that gets sorted in time too...

9. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I have the exact same problem, same log entries, etc.

All I will add is my phone is the s700i not a k700i.

10. lalcan macrumors regular

Hi there, just to let you know i've installed the 10.4.6 update and my K700 syncs with no problems, perhaps there are some other variables...

My info: iBook G4 1.33
    Extra soft:
    Salling Clicker
    Growl
    Synergy

Greetings
    Leo

11. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

I've got the same problem with a S-E S700i. Exactly the same! I have checked for CR in the First and Last Name and eMail Address fields as well.

12. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Just synched my k750i via iSync, twice, without problem.

However, every time I have tried to get my Zire 72 to work via iSync, nothing. I was hoping for the update to change this, but still nowt. I go to enable Palm OS synching and it claims I do not have the software installed, or I have not run it. wrong, on both counts. I will have to experiment a little more or it's fault reporting time to Apple and/or Palm.

13. TheMac19 thread starter macrumors regular

TheMac19

K700i iSync Problem Solved

Over on the Apple forums, a very helpful member has posted a solution for those who cannot sync their K700i or S700i SE phones. In brief, I will summarise the solution below:

How to Fix It!
    Control-Click iSync and select "Show Package Contents" From there navigate to: /Applications/iSync/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources/

then find the MetaClasses.plist file and open it with TextEdit. Scroll towards the bottom (maybe 3/4 way down), and look for the following:

<key>com.sony-ericsson.K700</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Identification</key>
    <dict>
    <key>com.apple.gmi+gmm</key>
    <string>Sony Ericsson+K700</string>
    </dict>
    <key>InheritsFrom</key>
    <array>
    <string>family.com.sony-ericsson.legacy</string>
    </array>
    <key>Services</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>ServiceName</key>
    <string>com.apple.model</string>
    <key>ServiceProperties</key>
    <dict>
    <key>ModelIcon</key>
    <string>SEK700.tiff</string>
    <key>ModelName</key>
    <string>K700</string>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </array>
    </dict>

Make the one change I highlighted above in red. Save the file, then use iSync to your heart's content!

NOTE: If you have the developer tools you needn't use TextEdit, as you have better apps for this, but I'm sure you know this far better than I do.

...........NOTE FOR S-E S700i USERS........
    The fix is the same, although you will need to modify the section of the plist file starting with S700 - and in the section the modification needs to take place twice, as detailed below:

<key>com.sony-ericsson.S700</key>
    <dict>
    <dict>
    <string>Sony Ericsson+S700</string>
    </dict>
    <key>InheritsFrom</key>
    <array>
    </array>
    <key>Services</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>ServiceName</key>
    <dict>
    <key>ModelIcon</key>
    <string>SES700.tiff</string>
    <key>ModelName</key>
    <string>S700</string>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </array>
    </dict>
    <key>com.sony-ericsson.S700i</key>
    <dict>
    <key>InheritsFrom</key>
    <array>
    <string>com.sony-ericsson.S700</string>
    </array>
    <key>Services</key>
    <array/>
    </dict>
    <key>com.sony-ericsson.S710</key>
    <dict>
    <dict>
    <string>Sony Ericsson+S710</string>
    </dict>
    <key>InheritsFrom</key>
    <array>
    </array>
    <key>Services</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>ServiceName</key>
    <dict>
    <key>ModelIcon</key>
    <string>SES700.tiff</string>
    <key>ModelName</key>
    <string>S710</string>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </array>
    </dict>

From Apple Forum posts, and my personal experience, this resolves the issue with all iSync issues with the K700i and S700i post 10.4.6 update. before changing the .plist file, you may want to create a copy of the file and save it in another location as a backup.)

Happy Syncing!
    -tom

14. reneke33 macrumors newbie

so called solution doesn't work

To bad, but the mentioned "solution"

doesn't work for me.

Besides that I feel Apple should fix this problem. iSync 2.1 worked just fine with my K700i. Now they've added support for the Nokia 40 series, after I sold my Nokia 6230 and bought a K700 a few months ago, because of the ability to sync!!!

15. me3x macrumors newbie

My fix

this works for me:

cd /Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources
    cp MetaClasses.plist MetaClasses.plist.orig
    vim MetaClasses.plist

in key "com.sony-ericsson.K700" replace "family.com.sony.ericsson.syncml-phones-2004-obexbug"
    with
    "family.com.sony-ericsson.irmc-old-phones"

restart iSync

16. Stoffel macrumors member

Thanks, you just made my day. This works for me (K700), too.

17. ikzelf macrumors newbie

Only, now we have 10.4.7 and again the K700i is no longer syncing. Who did already find a way to activate this again using 10.4.7 ?

Thanks

18. Stoffel macrumors member

I've used the old 10.4.6 fix again. It works.

19. ikzelf macrumors newbie

Strange, in my case it did not work. Currently I even can't pair the devices. With bluetooth Mobile Phone Set Up I can find the mobile, select it from the list and click Continue. On that point it keeps Gathering additional information about my device for ever.http://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Once I have seen the screen with the keys but when I entered the numbers on the mobile to pair, the input was always rejected. So it is still not working for me. I have tried all this with the above mentioned 'old' 10.4.6 fix in place.