10.4.7 & QMBP now idles at 2 GHz!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HaroldC, Jun 28, 2006.

1. HaroldC macrumors regular

Ahhhhh!

I updated to 10.4.7 last night and just noticed that the cores are running at 2GHz way more often than before. And this is with no other programs running! If I turn off QMBP, the cores drop down to their normal idle speed.

This definitely didn't happen with 10.4.6, as I used to watch it idle at 1.5GHz most of the time.

Is there anyway to revert back to 10.4.6?????

Thanks!

-Harold

2. vv-tim macrumors 6502

I checked, and you're right!

Strangely enough... and I have to move the slider down to 0 now to get the whine to go away (which is like... 35% processor power!).

That's pretty crazy.

One thing I am wondering, however, is if the 10.4.7 is more battery efficient. It seems like it could be? Maybe I'm just speculating.

3. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

4. vv-tim macrumors 6502

We're talking about QuietMBP.

I am noticing superior battery life on 10.4.7.

Not 100% confident on this, but looks like I can get 4 hours at lowest brightness and WiFi running Firefox/Thunderbird now.

5. HaroldC thread starter macrumors regular

Tim,

Have you tried the mirror widget trick? It worked for me so I no longer have to use QuietMBP. Try it out:

Open mirror widget > Close mirror widget > close the laptop to put the computer to sleep > Open and the computer should be quiet.

No more additional drain on the battery and heat!

-Harold

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

There's also the Photobooth hack. Open photobooth, force quit photobooth. Should work. :)

If neither of these work, then the USB trick has stopped working.

7. vv-tim macrumors 6502

But don't these "tricks" stop the laptop from conserving battery life in the first place? :p

These are probably the best performance-wise to stop the whine, but sometimes battery life > quietness.

8. Placeholder macrumors member

Placeholder

Yeah I found that QMBP with 10.4.7 isn't the best match.
    You don;t need to revert to 10.4.6 totally. I ended up reverting to the old keyboard update and just using the mirror widget "hack" again. I'm idling at 1.5GHz at the moment.
    See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=212433

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yep, that's the way to go. And I bet that those options (noisekiller/photobooth/mirror widget) use less battery life than quietMBP because they don't tax the processors. In fact, I'm not sure if they'd hurt battery life at all. The old keyboard settings and "magicnoisekiller" are working perfectly for me under 10.4.7. :)