10.4.7 slower?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ppnkg, Jul 24, 2006.

1. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

I have recently added another 1 MB of RAM to my iMac (see below, total 2MB ram), but have seen no substantial difference in performance.

I have the impression that after upgrading to 10.4.7 the system is a bit slower overall, no matter how much memory is available.

Any thoughts?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think you mean GB, not MB?

RAM does not equal speed.
    RAM = more open applications simultaneously, longer uptime, and faster response time when tons of memory hogging apps are open, and any combonation thereof.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Actually, this is not entirely true. RAM can equal speed. Have you booted a 256MB Dell before? Now progress to 512MB, finally upping it to 1GB of RAM. BIG difference. ;)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The word "speed" is completely subjective. While you are correct, it's only becuase there's not enough RAM so it's gotta start swapping to the HD for virtual memory.

But in this case the leap from 1GB to 2GB is not going to equal a massive "speed jump" that having not enough RAM to adequate RAM equals.

There's a point of diminishing return where RAM = speed I guess would be more appropriately said. The OP has long since passed it when moving beyond the 1GB boundry.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Seems just as fast as 10.4.6 was on my 2GHz MacBook Pro. :eek:

6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I actually think it boots a little faster on my MacBook (specs below).

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Exactly. Think of RAM as removing bottlenecks. Most people would find that 1GB has removed a sufficient amount of these bottlenecks which is why upgrading to 2GB isn't as productive as you'd imagine. :)

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I found that 10.4.7 made my MacBook Pro boot quite a bit faster...

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hmm, I did not even check to see if this was the case. I will have to time how long it takes to boot later on, and then compare it to the old time. :)

10. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I'm upgrading and adding a GIG of RAM. Though I asked for two gigs. Safari eats so much RAM while doing tabbed browsing. :(

11. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Even on my aging DP/450/2GB Sawtooth, 10.4.7 is WAY faster than earlier versions in all functions from boot time to shutdown, and everything in between too :D

12. REDSRT4 macrumors regular

ram makes everything run more smoothly which can make it faster but not in all cases

13. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

My computer has run speedier since 10.4.7 IMHO.

Though it's really hard to rate the difference of "zippiness" from something you're experiencing now and from something you're experiencing a few months ago.

14. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded an G3/500 iMac, G4/DP 450 and G4/450 with 10.4.7 and installed a gig of RAM in each. I must say the combination of OS update and RAM is noticable in terms of things 'feeling' faster.

Yellow:
    I installed 1.7GB of RAM in our G4/DP 867, running OS 10.4.7, not much change in 'feel'. It can run more apps without beachballing.

15. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

I just added a gig of RAM to my PowerBook yesterday, and so far, the only difference I have seen is that it takes like 5 sec to open iPhoto (as opposed to 2 min + before) and smoother/faster operation when it is open. Surprisingly (and somewhat ironically), I have been getting a lot more beachballing when using iTunes the past 24 hrs...

But 10.4.7 is definitely faster than 10.4.6 ever was on my machine