10.4.8 - Anyone else...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XP Defector, Oct 13, 2006.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

...think OSX seems to be running smoother with it? I just took the plunge and (fingers crossed), seem's to have gone well. I'm on a 2GHz MacBook 512RAM and OSX just seems much more slick. Anyone else or just wishful thinking?

2. hector macrumors regular

having the complete opposite experience. im on a macbook and am quite annoyed about it - i has an emac before and that seemed much quicker! i cant understand whats wrong...
    i think it was slightly better with 10.4.7 which it shipped with - not sure how to go back to that though

H

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've noticed major focus issues on my 17" iMac but not, so far, on anything else.

On the iMac, switching apps isn't always switching focus, and mouse clicks aren't registered all the time. Only on the iMac, and it survives a reboot. Nothing else installed since 10.4.8.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's funny that there are two threads on the new posts page right now, and one of them is a paean to how great 10.4.8 is, and the other a wailing dans macabre bemoaning it's ghoulishness. :eek: :(

My experience has been that Tiger has been stable ever since 10.4.4 or so... and 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 are pretty equal, little cutenesses aside (like the ctrl-scroll thing!).

5. acidity macrumors regular

Whats the (like the ctrl-scroll thing!). that you are talking about???

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Holding the Ctrl key and doing a vertical scroll causes the screen to zoom in (up) or out (down, if not fully zoomed out). Then when the mouse hits the edge of the displayed portion of the screen, it scrolls over. It's basically for people with vision problems. For the rest of us, it's mostly cute. ;)

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Mine's been fine. Haven't really noticed any changes, the ctrl-scroll zoom feature was part of the wireless Mighty Mouse drivers before it was part of 10.4.8, it was just integrated into the system with the point release.

I think it was 10.4.2 that brought the biggest leap in stability and a definite feeling as though it were quicker. Maybe 10.4.4? I can't remember.

8. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Holy crap! that's awesome!

9. hector macrumors regular

shipped with 10.4.6 - i went back to that last night and the macbook is NOTICABLY quicker/smoother... why is that?

10. danny_w macrumors 601

I use USB Overdrive and have my horizontal scroll set to zoom in/out, and it works just great. However, it would be nice not having to assign a mouse function to use it. I just haven't had the nerve yet to try 10.4.8 (I'll definitely do a clone first so that I can get back easily).