10.4.8 Black Screen Start Up Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by runninmac, Oct 2, 2006.

1. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I just got my MacBook back from getting repaired :) but... I installed the 10.4.8 update to it and now whenever I boot up all it gives me is a dark dark gray screen. Its weird becuase the display will dim after ~1 minute of me not tuching anything, so its recongize things I think but wont display anything.

PS: It still makes the gong noise upon start up

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

try to reset the PRAM and see what that does.

3. runninmac thread starter macrumors 65816

runninmac

Well this is weird, When it was in the black screen mode I closed the lid for the night, then I opened it up this morning and it was on the "starting Mac OS X" screen. Crazy. Im wondering if I should still take it in.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. Telonator macrumors newbie

also sent my Mac Book back to Apple so they could fix the random shutdown problem that appears to plague many black Mac Book owners. When they returned it to me 'fixed' I got a new surprise: the dark dark grey screen. I reset the PRAM and NVRAM and my computer now works.

To Reset: With the computer off, hold down these four buttons: Option-Command(open apple button)-P-R and then turn the computer on. You must have all four of these buttons depressed before the grey screen comes up. Wait and hold down the buttons until you here two chimes (the delay between the first and the second chime was between 5 and 10 secs, so be patient.) You may also see a white screen before the second chime; this turned out to be good news for me.

Here is a link to apple--http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238\

Hope that helps.

6. mtandrup macrumors newbie

The same happenen to me

Has anyone details, as to what Apple is saying about this?