10.4.8? More like 10.4.jerk.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jniedt, Oct 11, 2006.

1. jniedt macrumors newbie

15" mbp, 2.0 1GB

upgraded to 10.4.8 about a week ago, started to experience some issues...

1) experience a whine constantly and when I try and play shared itunes vids over the network it becomes louder and oscillates. Loud enough to hear over dialogue at a reasonable volume. Possibly the famous MBP whine, as dl'ing mirror eliminates it. Though this makes me suspect, as I did not have it before.

2) airport acting funky, dropping network completely in area where I previously had 4-5 bars. Does not automatically reconnect to network after reboot/awaken.

3) Most annoying one for me. Every time I try and use pathfinder in adobe illustrator (tool for merging or clipping shapes for the unillustrative) with anything more complex than 2 rectangles, it crashes. Previous to 10.4.8 it worked perfectly.

4) PMTool sucking up alot of memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. The General macrumors 601

I am having the same problem with Airport ... :( :confused:

3. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

As far as the whine, does it happen when the volume is up or even when it's mute? It might be the microphone ... you could try adjusting it in the system preferences to see if it makes a difference.

The rest... no idea.

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

No problems here with 10.48 on a G5 1.8 (at work).

5. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Definitly a problem with Airport. Used to come home from travel and it would automatically lock in the prefered netwrok. Now I have to go in and select it. Worked fine prior to 10.4.8. Here is a link with some more talk on the Airport issue and has some ideas at trying to fix it;

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=674064&tstart=0

I will be trying these myself tonight if I get the chance...

Bill......

6. hStack macrumors member

Same here, with the added feature of a shutdown. I would boot up my Macbook. A few of those occasions, it would forget the preferred WAP setting. I go ahead and change it back. 30 seconds later, shut down w/o warning. I thought I was experiencing RSD. Well now that it happened 3 times in the 11 days I've been using 10.4.8, in the same sequence of events, it's definitely a bizzare software/hardware bug.

7. LunchBox8484 macrumors member

I've had the problem as well, though now, it seems to have fixed itself (maybe). The only other explanation I have, is that I reset the router and reconfigured it and it seems to connect now, almost faster than before. But I don't know if that is a sure fire way of fixing it.

8. ddekker macrumors regular

updates

isn't it great that you cant "un-install" updates? I could in the windows world... another thing that seems counter productive, I run into things and write about it daily almost.... take a look

DD

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

I had that problem with my MacBook. Better yet, if I looked at Activity Monitor, the Airport process was using 99% of the CPU after reawakening after sleeping, so in addition to reselecting the network manually, I had to remember to kill the process or my MacBook would heat up.

11. acidity macrumors regular

Come to think of it, even I am having problem with Airport..it dosnt correctly selects network which it used to previously...

Can I downgrade????

12. ibidiem macrumors member

my network connection has been super slow the last week + ... 10.4.8???

didn't connect it to the update. thought the router (a local freebee) was experiencing a heckload of traffic, all the sudden. But also, the other neighborhood free wireless is slow as well.

is there any solutions to airport SPEED, not just connection?

i think I might try to downgrade...

13. acidity macrumors regular

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

You do a reinstall of Mac OS X, selecting "Archive" so that it saves your user data.

15. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I am happy to find this post. I've had the same airport problems. Airport just drops connection randomly, and the only way to fix it involves a reset. After resetting, the time and volume disappears too, and I have to recheck the options boxes in system prefs to put them back.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There are TEN different sections on www.macfixit.com about these Airport probs in 10.4.8, with several suggested fixes.

17. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

ditto.:)

18. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

mine seems fine, 2.0G mbp, 2gig ram.. airport is fine, no whine, etc.. same as before it seems

19. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I agree with skunk!! I did what was suggested on the link I put in and so far so good. Basically, you need to remove the plist and System Config. Check the links given. Hopefully this fix will hold until the next update!!

Bill.....

Update; Well that did not work. Will have to try something else........

20. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

Performing smoothly and perfectly on a 17" Powerbook:

Attached Files:

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Airport problems are supposedly with Intel Macs for the most part.

22. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Hopefully "Apple" is aware of these and will at least patch this for the Intels prior to Leopard coming out. I hate having to shut off my Wi-Fi adn then turn it back on again just to join my home network!

Bill.....:(

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just upgraded to 10.4.8 on my PowerBook. seems fine here. Though 10.4.8 is almost fine on my C2Duo iMac - Front Row keeps draining my CPU which slows the machine down to PowerBook speeds.

24. acidity macrumors regular

Thanks.

25. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

i'm on a mac book pro and running 10.4.8 and have had no problems with airport.