10.4.8 Really sucks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XP Defector, Oct 26, 2006.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Honestly, I think it's turned OSX into XP or something! Ever since I upgraded my Wireless acts weird, programs frequently stop responding and I just returned now and my MacBook was sleeping, but it had to restart OSX because of an error.

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Despite you sounding like a Troll and me not really wanting to sound like a gnome...

I think you may have a point.. there're still lots of annoying things happening with 10.4.8 most of them for me are strange graphics irregularities while using finder.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have to agree. It's working fine on my Intel iMac Core 2 Duo but on my GFs iMac G5 it's a joke. When the machine sleeps for a while it will power down when we try to wake it up. I posted about this on the Apple forums and it turns out it isn't an isolated issue either.

BRING ON 10.4.9!!!

4. dwishbone macrumors regular

have you tried the basic maintenance? repaired permissions? ran a full system optimization with Onyx?
    also a very little known tip. sometimes the file system can get wonky. just like defragging from the command line (safe mode) is much more efficient in windows...macos has a repair tool thats much better than the ones you normally see.

boot your computer holding down "command + s"
    it will boot into a text only console screen. dont freak out.
    type "fsck -y"
    this will run the built in unix File System Check utility.
    it has fixed many a problem that nothing else would and restored system reliability. it takes awhile, just let it run. also on G5s your fans might go crazy for a bit, but it should be fine.

these are isolated issues sounds like..or at least tied to just certain machines. i have a Macbook Pro and an Dual 2ghz G5 and they both run like a champ. ive had no problems with 10.4.8 with either.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No problems here. Instead of saying that 10.4.8 "sucks", how about considering that something else might be wrong with your machine? That's generally the case.

The title's enough to write off this topic for most people, btw, as it's borderline trolling (if not well over the line).

jW

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The only thing I've noticed about 10.4.8 is that the Network display in Activity Monitor seems wonky. I have a 1.5Mb/s DSL, and the fastest download speed I can get is usually 160-165kB/s, but the Network display now usually shows twice that during sustained downloads (imagine how excited I was to see my DSL was suddenly 2x faster than it was)

Everything else is fine on my rev A 17" Core Duo iMac.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nah... 10.4.8 does not seem like Apple's finest release... but on the other hand I've not had any software issues that a quick restart hasn't fixed...

And the only real issues I've noticed are that some applications, specially iTunes 7 and Firefox 2 (and RC3) seems to get a bit unstable when I've used sleep a couple of times and have a couple of day's uptime...

9. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

The rendering issues I'm having are on an iMac C2D and an older G4 tower. they're not stopping me from getting work done, just a bit crappy looking while doing it.

there are lots, a common thing off the top of my head is strange graphic duplications of files in column view, cropping of icons in icon view and probably the most annoying is when a file needs a 'nudge' to make it up date, usually while using a date modified arrangement in list and icon view.

These happen on a 2.16 c2d iMac with 2GB of ram so it's not 'slow' hardware or integrated graphics.

10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Ive had a lot of odd Firefox 1.5 issues since installing 10.4.8 (freezes, inability to force quit from the freezes, bad initial page renders); hopefully those will go away with 2.0 (which as of yesterday was not showing up in the "check for updates" dialog in Firefox.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Off topic...download it from the firefox site

12. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i haven't had any problems on any of the machine i've installed it on (G4 mini, Intel mini, 500MHz G4 PM, 1.5GHz G4 PB, 2.16GHz Intel C2D iMac)

13. hodgjy macrumors 6502

10.4.8 works fine on my iBook G4 and on my C2D iMac. Just fine.

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

15. jaycrew macrumors member

16. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

I've better ways to spend my time than eliciting responses for some sort of personal amusement... I stand by my comments and there seem to be a fair few others who experienced problems with it. Clearly Apple need to be more cautious with their updates, an update is meant to improve something, not cause problems.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I had a truckload of weird things going on in 10.4.8 with various apps, System Prefs, and other stuff until I downgraded QT 7.1.3. I'm now on 7.0.4 and everything is sweet as. It's a bit of a complicated process, so you should maybe Google it.

18. rstorm macrumors regular

No problems with either of my machines. I always repair permissions before and after.

19. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Every time Apple releases an update for anything there are some people who have problems, but thus is the reality of software. I think Apple does a pretty good job, I've never hand any issues myself.

20. AndyMulhearn macrumors member

Although in this case there is good anecdotal evidence that it has borked a number of people's wireless connections on the intel platform. One of which is mine - I spent most of yesterday trying to understand why my ADSL connection was throttled to 30kbps and then resinstalled 10.4.6 and downloaded the 10.4.7 upgrade at 860kbps.

21. Mafio macrumors member

I have got the wireless issue, I have tried every possible solution without any luck!! It's really frustrating because everything was perfect before this update.

:(

22. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

No problems at all here on the machines in my sig. They're both PPC so maybe my experience is irrelevant. :eek:

23. AndyMulhearn macrumors member

I spent 6 hours trying to fix the problem and 2 reinstalling OSX and all of the software/patches - except 10.4.8. I could have saved a lot of time if I'd just rolled back straight away :((

24. zflauaus macrumors 65816

For those running G4's/Non-Front Row Systems, did 10.4.8 erase the Front Row hack for anybody else?

25. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Ya killed mine

I'm starting to feel left out....I've not had a single issue with any OS update going back to Panther all the way to 10.4.8

Not one issue.....