10.4 Million SOLD

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jan 8, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A lot of debate on this forum has mentioned that the Xbox 360 has performed badly, that it hasnt reached it's goals, then numbers revealed are shipped and not sold.

Well time to clear up the confusion.

Microsoft opened this years CES and revealed the numbers

10.4 Million SOLD, not shipped. More than they projected.

5 Million users on Live. That's more than I thought and obviously shows how important Live is to the Xbox experience.

As the first 'next gen' console to reach the milestone, and the unprecedented success of GOW it puts microsoft in a very strong position.

Developers are going to be more relutant than ever to release PS3 exclusive titles, simply because if by the middle of summer Sony should have shipped 5 million, microsoft will be on it's way to 15 million.

It just doesnt make finanical sense for a publisher to release an exclusive on a system with a third less sales/shipped than its competitor and a lower contention ratio. It's too big a gamble when a game is costing $5-10 million to produce.

The real test will come after Sony have launched in Europe and towards late summer when the usual 'drought' period for consoles is at it's pinacle.

By then we should have a clearer picture of how sales on all the consoles. Well be able to see if the momentum Nintendo have had with the Wii launch success continues or if they squander it by having a lack of major titles hitting retail.

2007 will be interesting indeed.

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Or DS for that matter. ;)

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yep, but pretty good.

I wonder how many they shipped........... At least two to my friend's store. :)

<]=)

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well if its 10.5 mill sold, then I assume it must be around 12 mill shipped at least.

6. Archmagination macrumors regular

There is a misunderstanding here.

Microsoft SELLS the consoles to the store(Like Best Buy, Walmart, etc) and Microsoft then counts that as SOLD!! Its because Microsoft has made their money off it.. the stores haven't made any money because they haven't sold them to their customers yet. Thats the reason why their are a lot of Xbox 360's(some stores have around a 100!!) in the stores.. by most accounts only about 8.5 million have actually been bought by consumers. So that leaves about 2 million on the store shelves.

Sony does the same thing as Microsoft but Nintendo actually counts how many have made it into their consumers hands. So when Nintendo says: 4 million Wii's sold then that means 4 million Wii's have been sold by the stores.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Have we got indivudual numbers for Europe, or better still the UK? I only know of 2 people who now own a 360, a lot less than folk who owned an original Xbox (pretty much everyone at my college). It's a great machine, IMO way better than the original Xbox which failed on many levels (though I still owned) but is it selling as much in the same timeframe?

10.4 million is an awful lot. The PS3 has a mighty hard battle, since the public see both systems as being just as powerful (or maybe the PS3 weaker from the look of the launch titles) and to say both consoles are gunning for the same market.

Kudos MS. You currently have 17 of my Sterling Pounds, do a good job in 2007 and you'll have 300 more.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but IPTV. Now that's nice. EyeTV says that my Freeview digital signal is 5mbps, that's for 576i TV. What kind of connection speed are you going to need to run that smoothly?! Hell, be sure nobody else uses the internet whilst your watching the climax of some long running storyline in your favourite Australian soap opera. Well done IPTV thinkers, you've limited your market to the utmost miniscule of markets.
    IP Radio or something like that would be nice. Something to rival DAB.

8. darkwing macrumors 65816

And how would Nintendo have those numbers unless they look at how many orders come in? Who's to say the latest orders were filled? (Ultimately, when demand drops.) As far as I'm aware, they only know what's been sold when stores make new orders and they know what isn't sold when stores return them. Anybody here understand this stuff real well? I'd love to know where all these numbers come from anyway.

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

No these are units sold. Microsoft have emphatically tried to clear up that misunderstanding.

Darkwing is correct. Units are SHIPPED when they are given to the stores. All stock is usually on an almost sale or return basis these days. They then wait for the store to order more and then they know how many have been SOLD as opposed to SHIPPED.

10.4 Million Sold - not shipped

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Bear in mind that EyeTV works in MPEG2, not H.264 or VC-1 (VC-1 is more likely for the 360), which the 360 is more than capable of ;) Even MPEG4 is a hell of a lot better than MPEG2

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So 5mbps drops down to 3mbps?

What'd be much much better would be MS sticking in a TV tuner. A built in EyeTV style device. Bam. Little Lucy gets to find out the rabid Neighbours murderer whilst mummy gets to browse Google Earth in peace.

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

If we're talking SD, abouts 1mbps; HD, abouts 2-3, and this is with XviD, not anything better

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

As several have already pointed out - you're incorrect.
    Microsoft counts "sold" as "purchased by customers" just like Nintendo.

Sony on the other hand thinks once the system is made, it's considered "sold" because eventually one day it will be sold. :rolleyes: Sony is notorious for fibbing and trying to pass off "shipped" totals as "sold" totals; I've never heard one iota of information about Microsoft or Nintendo doing this.

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm still mad about the new version that is seeming more and more likely to come out :mad: They would have sold 10,399,999 systems had I known they would pull this crap a year and half later.

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

They all do it though. They all make revisions that improve hardware, some big and some small. I dont think its anything to get too upset about.

No doubt PS3 & Wii will see some form or revisio change before the year is out as well.

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

But by adding HDMI they are adding a big something missing from the 360. Something that I wanted it have have. It just shows their lack of foresight (or perhaps they just give the finger to Sony)

I can't seem to edit so above I meant "Something I wanted it to have".

Little changes like the new chips and such aren't so bad but when you add stuff to the system only a year after it came out...come on....

18. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I bought mine last week from gamestop, and the guy told me I have one year to return the thing for any reason. If the new 360 gets released in the next 51 weeks, I will just return my 360 and get one of the new ones.

I'm not just tooting my own horn here, my point is, if you bought from gamestop, look into this deal and whether or not it applies to you!

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Reminds me of DS vs DS Lite, although a second revision of 360 is likely to be less of a big deal then even that.

20. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I think they are referring to the manufacturer's warranty and not the store's return/exchange policy which on hardware I think is 14 days and 7 days for software. I would look into getting that clarified.

21. darkwing macrumors 65816

Not necessarily. The PSP hasn't changed. Still has the same model number, even. I was going to wait a few months to get a PS3 because my PS2 that I bought 4 months after launch was like revision 3, but I don't think that there's much to do in the way of revisions in today's era of firmware updates.

22. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Freeview uses mpeg2 encoding, which is far less efficient or tolerant of fluctuating bandwidth as you'd find in an iptv setup.

mpeg4 or h.264 at 700 to 1000kbps is plenty nice to be comparable to that 576i freeview signal and far less likely to give you the blocks (digital interference) when its blowing a gail outside.

M. :D

23. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

but didnt they update it to corect some of the problems with the original square button, and some of the screens that had terrible dead pixel problems ? That could be seen as a revision. :)

By the way lads, edit post seems to be down at the moment. Probably as the site is prepared for the keynote speech later, so expect a few 'issues' later this evening as it always is when there's a big announcement and an avalanche of posts.

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah but not in the same league as adding new connectors and such ;)

25. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

No I am fairly positive this is a gamestop thing. The guy who sold it to me (someone I knew from high school, he wouldn't BS me) said that while it is covered by the microsoft warranty as well, gamestop was offering this warranty and a copy of GRAW free when you purchased the system. I made sure to understand that for one year I could get this replaced, not matter what happened to it. He told me I could run it over with my car in 364 days, bring it in, and as long as it was in the box, they would give me a new one.

Side note, not entirely related to the longevity of this warranty, but the first 360 I bought from them didn't work out of the box, and I brought it back to this guy, who listened to my story, took one look at the system, and threw it on the ground as hard as he could. He and I shared a good laugh, while the other gamestop employee looked on in horror, right before getting me a new 360. I will call tonight to make absolutely sure I have the details right, but I am fairly positive the deal I got from gamestop is as I am describing it.

Edit: Just looked it up, the deal described here is what I got. Gamestop will replace a deffective console for one year.

So they replace it. Unless Microsoft decides to completely pull the original 360's from the shelf, my plan won't work. Oh well, it was worth a shot.